Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PCU L5 Alternatives  (Read 6667 times)

Gimpalong

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old school member
  • I make maps.
    • View Profile
PCU L5 Alternatives
« on: October 20, 2017, 02:46:05 PM »
Hi guys,

I'm looking to pick up a Level 5 PCU soft shell.

The issue I'm having is that both the ORC and the Patagonia Level 5 PCUs are 1) expensive, 2) hard to find and 3) impossible to find in size "small."

I've been able to find Patagonia Level 5s in medium for around the $150-$190 mark. Which, to be honest, is fine, but if I'm going to spend that much on a jacket I'd like it to fit appropriately. I'm 5'6"...

So that leads me to another option which is to purchase something similar like a Condor Summit soft shell or a Helikon soft shell in the appropriate color. Both look fairly similar to the Patagonia L5 PCU.

Can anyone weigh in on these options or suggest alternatives? I should add that I'm a bit hesitant to pick up something like the Allwin or Emerson/TMC/Clone versions.

Thanks!

luke213

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
Re: PCU L5 Alternatives
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 04:43:39 PM »
Now since I'm not fully up to speed and a quick google search didn't clear things up;) Is this the same as the ECWCS line of gear? Since that's the only thing I've seen with levels and looking it up quick I've been catching gen 2 stuff.

If it is, then I do have a fair bit of experience with it. I like the gen3 stuff across the board better than the 1 and 2, I use it for wet weather and winter play. Unfortunately the easiest pattern to get is UCP/ACU which isn't great, but it works quite well during the winter months with full snow against maple trees. Which happens to be my play areas;)

Either way if it's ECWCS then I've done allot of testing and use, if it's something else I don't know much at all;)

Luke
xaos - "298,000 yen for a complete gun. How much is that in real money?"