Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Polarstar- req recommendations on a complete gun, and changes in airsoft scene  (Read 8100 times)

TheAznDoctor

• Trade Count: (0)
    • View Profile
Hello everyone. I've been out of airsoft for the past five years and haven't kept up much with the changes and advancements in the tech and companies. I've spent most of the time studying, getting into steel shooting, and just traveling. After spending much of the summer playing paintball and outdoor laser tag I had a inkling to come back into this.

Are the games still primarily held on the west side of Michigan or has someone established something near metro Detroit?

What's changed in the market? I last read se great things about polarstar. I would prefer to just buy a completed gun. Doing a quick Google search pointed me to airsoft junkiez. They seem to make a large variety of versions and I'm torn between a dmr or a more handy length like a travor. Anyone with info or thoughts on builds and builders would be appreciated. At present I would only want one rifle. So versiltilty would be nice.

Anyone with insight on these would be appreciated.

kjones734

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Old school member
    • View Profile
A general price range would be a good help too. A lot has changed in the last few years. The clones are now rather decent guns for the price and a few more top brands have made names for them selves too. If you give a general price range and a style of gun you like then someone can point you in the right direction. Polarstars are nice but some do not like the external air rig. Once set up properly I would say they are superior to other gun types due to consistency and easy customizability but they are not a humongous game changer and a decent AEG stands its ground no problem. Also field hosts hold them to a higher safety standard ( unfair in my opinion) and do not allow them to shoot above 410 FPS so a sniper rifle or DMR build is not possible with them. The biggest problem with them is some shitty users abuse the polarstars potential and piss people off / hurt them. If you desire you can make a polarstar fire 650 FPS at roughly 80 rounds per second. So in the hands of a bad user the platform gets a bad name, I will say however the vast majority of users are responsible. My recommendation would be to get a good preforming AEG in your price range and you will be fine. Most AEG fire very good right out of the box these days.

Gunny87

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Old school member
  • SK 29
    • View Profile
There are now more airsoft venues on the east side of the state than the west side actually.

In South East Michigan alone you have....

Action Paintball (Taylor) (outdoor)
Matrix Airsoft (Romulus) (outdoor)
Hell's Survivors (Pinkney) (outdoor)
Futureball Paintball (Whitmore Lake) (outdoor)
Eastside Airsoft (Warren) (indoor)
Phoenix Tactical (Clinton Township) (indoor/outdoor)

Per usual, check out the airsoft events section of this forum. Events also get posted on the "Michigan Airsoft", and "South East Michigan Airsoft" Facebook forums

You can buy a completed HPA airsoft gun from most retailers and there are other options for HPA other than Polar Star. Not that there's anything wrong with Polar Star at all. Look up Wolverine Airsoft's line of HPA products and then there's also Valken Airsoft.

Amped airsoft also sells completed HPA guns. However dropping in a Fusion Engine, or a SMP/Hydra/Inferno is pretty simple as well.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 05:20:09 PM by Gunny87 »
G&P MK23 Stoner LMG (SMP'd) - G&P MK18 Mod 1 - G&P CQBR (Protech MKII) - G&P M177 - STAR FNC x2 - G&G MP5 (Protech MKII) - CA M24  - Cybergun M&P 9

TheAznDoctor

• Trade Count: (0)
    • View Profile
Thanks for the replies, nice to hear that things have gone more local to the eastern half of MI. Regarding price range anywhere from 600-900 is fine.  Looking at a m4 pattern, used to have a vfc 416 with correct trades a long time ago. Was also considering a scar, or a travor but the m4 is the most familiar to me.

If possible I'd like a gun that could be utilized in both indoor and outdoor games. Iirc that would limit me to 350 fps. Or would it be easier to just stick to 400, then swap to handgun for indoors if the area has that type of environment? Also how easy would it be to lower the fps for events held indoors for these hpa style guns?

kjones734

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Old school member
    • View Profile
To change fps in a aeg you can do a spring swap in about 30 minutes, less if you are familiar and handy with the gearbox. For a polarstar you simple turn down the psi on your regulator and re-chrono, less then 3 minutes. With that price range you can buy the best aeg or you can buy a polarstar. A polarstar can be purchased at a decent price used from ebay or other places. The reliability of a polarstar is very high so buying used is not a big issue.