Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PC Build Thread - Aka We're better than you thread aka Digital Pissing Contest  (Read 19964 times)

Troubadour

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Old school member
  • Bastard's seXO
    • View Profile
    • Troubadour's Website
So what sort of beast is everyone running these days? Are you planning a build? Do you need some recommendations? Questions about a part or how to install something, etc? Just want to show off your new build. This is that thread. Do it in here.

Bastard's Airsoft XO, Event Host, and  all around terrible person.

Ogre

• Old school member
    • View Profile
So what sort of beast is everyone running these days? Are you planning a build? Do you need some recommendations? Questions about a part or how to install something, etc? Just want to show off your new build. This is that thread. Do it in here.

I'm currently in the middle of funding a build, going with an Xeon Processor, Nvidia 970 from ASUS which I plan on overclocking. 4TB HDD and 16 GB of ram. Should be about a grand when I am done with it. Its not the best but will be able to max almost anything on the market in 1080p at 60 frames.

Troubadour

• Old school member
  • Bastard's seXO
    • View Profile
    • Troubadour's Website

I'm currently in the middle of funding a build, going with an Xeon Processor, Nvidia 970 from ASUS which I plan on overclocking. 4TB HDD and 16 GB of ram. Should be about a grand when I am done with it. Its not the best but will be able to max almost anything on the market in 1080p at 60 frames.

That's going to do just fine for at least 2 years man. Hell, I built one in 2012 for $250 (I also worked at MicrocenteR) that could max out current games back then and lasted all the way till now. Grand Theft Auto V was the first game that it failed to run smoothly. Witcher 3 it's doing fine on, but still gonna probably throw in a new GFX and upgrade the CPU, mobo, and ram... So essentially build a brand new computer, actually exactly build a brand new computer.
Bastard's Airsoft XO, Event Host, and  all around terrible person.

Stinger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
    • View Profile
Ogre, drop the Xeon and go with a better GPU (the 980 is killer). I have a 3770K and it does just fine with the video processing end of things. Plus the i7 series is better at running games than Xeons are (theoretically).

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxdYeS3Gqac[/youtube]
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 08:47:17 PM by Stinger »
-Stinger

YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/user/CStingerGhost1
"Think of yourselves as a hand. Each of you is a finger, and without the others you're useless."

Snarf

• Trade Count: (2)
    • View Profile
Nice build Stinger.

Hopefully I don't get laughed out of this thread, but I use a laptop for gaming/everyday use :P. I take it places somewhat frequently so I guess it worked out better than a desktop for me. It's a Lenovo ideapad Y510P, so at least it's a somewhat recent model (and it was on a massive sale, so why not?). The core i7 and Nvidia GT 750M is adequate for the games I play at least, at a good framerate. And yes, it can run Crysis ;).

Stinger

• View Profile
Nice build Stinger.

And yes, it can run Crysis ;).
But can it run Crysis in 3K downsampled to 1080p?
Haha, I was once on a laptop friend, and it was not nearly as nice as yours.
-Stinger

"Think of yourselves as a hand. Each of you is a finger, and without the others you're useless."

Ogre

• Old school member
    • View Profile
Ogre, drop the Xeon and go with a better GPU (the 980 is killer). I have a 3770K and it does just fine with the video processing end of things. Plus the i7 series is better at running games than Xeons are (theoretically).

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxdYeS3Gqac[/youtube]

The one I'm going with is the same spec wise as the i7 i was gonna go with but cheaper by 40 bucks, only lacks intergrated graphics so my 970 will be handling all graphics system wide. No need for integrated graphics when its just a pain in the ass to deal with anyways. When all is said and done If i have the pocket change I wll opt for the 980 instead. AMD's new line they announced is tempting but I'm not sure if I want to pass up on DX12, which I know the 900 line will support.

Hopefully I don't get laughed out of this thread, but I use a laptop for gaming/everyday use :P. I take it places somewhat frequently so I guess it worked out better than a desktop for me. It's a Lenovo ideapad Y510P, so at least it's a somewhat recent model (and it was on a massive sale, so why not?). The core i7 and Nvidia GT 750M is adequate for the games I play at least.

I'm running its bigger brother the 850M, However I have  discovered being a youtuber, I can't always get that 60fps eye candy while recording so I want a better computer.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 11:01:36 PM by Ogre »

Stinger

• View Profile
The one I'm going with is the same spec wise as the i7 i was gonna go with but cheaper by 40 bucks, only lacks intergrated graphics so my 970 will be handling all graphics system wide. No need for integrated graphics when its just a pain in the ass to deal with anyways.
Well also keep in mind that Xeons do not have unlocked multipliers, thus true overclocking is not achievable with them. The i7 will outperform a Xeon of equal spec. in gaming, and that is not because of integrated graphics.
I would only use a Xeon if it was in a server/rendering build with ECC RAM. Otherwise the i7 will do just as good in most applications and outperform in games.

Simple Terms:

Gaming = i5
Rendering / Editing = i7
Servers / Heavy Workloads = Xeon
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 01:37:40 PM by Stinger »
-Stinger

Timm

• Old school member
  • Swiggity Swooty I'm coming for that booty, Mon.
    • View Profile
AMD FX-6300 Vishera 6-Core 3.5GHz Processor
Seagate ST310005N1A1AS-RK 1TB Hard drive
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX + SB950 6 x SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
16 gigs of ripjaw DDR3 RAM
Rosewill Hive-750 Power supply
MSI N760-2GD5/OC Graphics card

Most likely going to upgrade my graphics card soon, just for shits and giggles.

Its a great rig, handles anything I throw at it, but she's going on two years old soon. 

^All this was posted from my Mac. Horray international travel!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 11:29:42 AM by Timm »

Myers

• Old school member
    • View Profile
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
i7 4770 @3.4ghz (3.9ghz Turboboost. No O/C = LAME!)
1TB HDD (Need solid state...)
16GB DDR3 1600mhz
Nvidia GTX650 1GB DDR5 (Needs to be replaced, still can handle everything fine on medium.)

Running a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate as my keyboard. Also just picked up a SteelSeries Rival gaming mouse because I absolutely couldn't stand my Razer Naga for FPS games anymore. Liking it so far.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 01:07:15 PM by Myers »

Cats

• The Science Guy!
    • View Profile
    • Doom C3Airsoft Listing
Windows 3.1
Intel i386 40MHz
1GB HDD (been upgraded over the years obviously)
8MB RAM
5.25" Floppy
3.5" Floppy

My first PC, still kickn'.

Ogre

• Old school member
    • View Profile
Windows 3.1
Intel i386 40MHz
1GB HDD (been upgraded over the years obviously)
8MB RAM
5.25" Floppy
3.5" Floppy

My first PC, still kickn'.

But can it run Crysis?