Discussion Boards > Off Topic

What do you do for a living?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Zzan:
I'm an office worker.  Most of my life I have been in the Restaurant industry.  Pizza Hut, Applebee's, YUM!, Domino's, Bloomin' Brands. At Pizza Hut I started as an hourly employee and worked up to store manager and later a "fixer-upper" basically the area coach sent me to stores that were having issues to get them back on track.  Left that to work for Corning, Inc.  Which is the only job I have had where I actually used my college education (Engineering Physics).  Worked at Applebee's for a short time after I got laid off from Corning.  Then got an offer from YUM! and worked there installing and supporting back office systems for Pizza Hut, KFC, Taco Bell, Long John Silvers and A&W.  Left there to go to Domino's home office in Ann Arbor where I did basically the same thing, but only had one brand to deal with which was a much better quality of life.  Now I work at Bloomin' Brands in Tampa, FL started out in a similar role here but now I am a manager of Technology Innovation for Off-Premise Dining.  Fancy way of saying I am in charge of all the technology that we put into our stores in terms of to-go, and delivery, taking care of customers that aren't eating inside the restaurants themselves.  Downside is that I am back to dealing with multiple brands (Outback, Carrabba's, Bonefish Grille, Flemings Prime Steakhouse) that can't ever find a middle ground and work with each other pleasantly.

TauterTwiggy:
I work as a full stack software developer (official title: UI Engineer/Senior Agency Colleague) at an agency in Ann Arbor. I have been there about 2 years now and before that helped start a Software company called Locqus (now Service.com) for 3. I primarily spend my days dealing with clients crazy asks and talking them off bridges. It is varied work and I do enjoy turning complex ideas into their much simpler parts. Before that I worked as a security guard for Guardian, RSIG, and worked stock at a liquor store for a bit.

Guts and Glory:
I'm a ground handler for a private company on loan to American Airlines at the Lansing airport.  Still not full time but I end up working weekends so no chance to get to any fields still around.

Pagan:
I work in IT for a large Insurance Company. I've been there for a little over two years. My official title is Senior Service Desk Analyst ( I recently received a promotion )

Most of my time is spent in support of just under 800 users over 12 locations, but I am also in charge of Client Device for the Service Desk. I image and maintain laptops, desktops, and mobile devices.

Pretty much I tell people to turn it off and back on again all day. :-)

darcness:
I work at FedEx Ground as a technician.  It's basically like skilled trades but we aren't unionized so we don't specialize.  We have a team of 6 guys who keep the terminal running 24/7 and do everything from building maintenance to repairing the automated scan tunnels.  When some one asks me what I do I say "all of the above" and it's the truth.  I've been with the company now for 15 years.  Started as a package handler, then admin, then service manager, and then into being a tech.  Promoted 3 times now as a tech so next step is management, but I'm not ready for that yet.  I like my 8 and skate too much!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version