Events & Planning > After Action Reports

OP: Trident 7/25/15 @TCP Paintball in Charlotte

(1/5) > >>

Snarf:
It felt like a long day. The sun was pretty brutal, and the bugs were definitely voracious. Overall, I'd say the event was pretty good and I don't feel like I totally wasted my $20 (although I spent more than that in gas to get there, so :(). There were some good things going on, but there were definitely a lot of bad things too.

I'll start with the field itself: TCP Paintball in Charlotte. Upon arrival, I had to help Prophet with his hopup so we went to the chrono station to test his gun and so I could chrono mine. No refs or chronos were there, so we just test fired. About half an hour later, I was ready to go, but I never went to register. Then Abbot called everyone in for a briefing and things got moving. I like how we started right on time, but I'm still scratching my head as to when we were supposed to register. I did everything online before arriving, but still, I didn't even get an wristband or anything, so really I could've just walked onto the field for free if I had wanted to. Finally, right before we walked onto the field, a TCP ref came over holding a chrono and we lined up and chrono'd. He didn't have any BBs, so everyone just chrono'd with whatever BBs they had in their mags, which he didn't ask about. I personally chrono'd with .28s, which wasn't too helpful since I've never chrono'd it before. This is a little concerning, because I'm pretty sure the MEDs were given just by FPS, not energy output. Now more onto the field itself: it's very buggy. Yes, we were warned. No, nobody was prepared to be breathing in and eating mosquitoes for lunch. It's not really their fault, but that made the woods an awful place to go through. Any areas off the trail were also nearly impossible to traverse efficiently, especially the swamp/grassy field. On the flip side, the village and the mounds areas were pretty cool, and after the switch to recreational style gameplay, they were utilized quite well.

Now onto the gameplay. I was on green team, and it felt very unbalanced right from the beginning. We were outnumbered from the start, and I personally thing that the small "resistance" faction should've been moved to the green side. Tan team basically steamrolled us all day, which wasn't too fun. Spawn points were also somewhat confusing; however, the medic rules were clear and simple, and everyone appeared to understand and abide by them. Hit calling seemed ok to me, although my gun was shooting terribly so I didn't get too many hits anyways, but some other members of green team seemed to think otherwise. Overshooting was a bit annoying (SAW gunners mostly) but it wasn't too bad. The semi-only rule generally prevented massive amounts of overshooting, but I saw plenty of bad welts on both sides (I'm thinking of the 3rd nipple...).

I would like to thank Puma1 for stepping up and being our CO. Comms were a mess though, enough so that I didn't even bother to use my radio all day. It seemed like one group had their own special channel, the Russians were on another weird one, and GSAT tried to keep up communication but our team quickly splintered into disorganzed groups pretty quickly. It basically turned into the Russian team, GSAT, then everyone else. Regardless of that, I ended up having fun playing as the medic for Alpha team, which translated into being the medic for the whole team later on. Since I don't have an established team to run with, medic is probably going to be my role in future OPs.

I'm sure I missed some stuff, but I got most of it. Huge shoutout to everyone on green team who stuck through the whole event. It was pretty rough for our team. I'm fairly certain we started with barely 20 players, which dwindled down to about 6-8 right at the end. Sure, tan whooped our asses, but at least we stayed right down to the end!

Praetor:
I have mixed feelings about this event. I was on green team Charlie squad so I was basically the Russian's +1. It took us about 15 minutes from the start of the game until we were actually got out on the field. Tan definitely outnumbered us by a significant amount and that was one factor that while annoying is something that green usually has to deal with. Over all I had a good time and met a lot of people that I only knew from the forums. The negative parts of the event are as follows; hit calling—when I shoot someone 3 times in the stomach and you flinch I would appreciate it if you called your hit. I understand however that with heavy gear on and with the secondary war against Mosquitos going on you could not notice it. Another negative was that for the first part of the day the rules were pretty unclear with people spawning behind enemy lines and stuff like that. Those are pretty much the only negatives that I can think of and none of those could have really been avoided too much. Onto the things I liked, I liked the comraderie that these sorts of games bring out. When abbot guided me and two Russians to a way around tan's right flank so that we could take the church is now my favorite airsoft engagement, the fact that us three were able to capture the church and push into tan'd flank like that still amazes me. Overall: good day with minor issues.

Elvis:
I had much higher expectations for this event, but I still ended up having a good time.

I was on green team, and I have to say tan team pretty much had every advantage I can think of over us. A significantly larger team, a defensive role, MUCH less mosquitos in their main AO, multiple saw gunners, more structure and countless other advantages.  We pretty much got our butts whooped all day long. My main problems with the field are the wretched mosquitoes whom made it impossible to do much and made it very un enjoyable to play. Myself and many other teammates also observed a lot of hit calling issues, and there was no question about it if we hit them, because after the third time we see a bb contact them and they flinch it is a clear hit. There was also a lot of overkilling from the fully automatic guys, My friend and I were a victim of a severe overkill at one point from a player less than 20 feet in front of us, and after wards I consulted him about it and instead of the obvious sorry one expect he actually argued with me about it and was very, very rude. I was highly disappointed. The command and structure of the event also seemed to be very lacking, I think a scenario would have been a more appropriate name for it, not a millsim. But I think it may have been more of the players at fault here than TCP.

Now that I have got my rants out I will start on the positives.

I have to begin this part by saying that I think that AO at TCP is a very great place. That is a definite plus. I also got to meet MANY new forum members today and got to see many familiar faces as well. I was also thoroughly pleased that TCP allowed my friend and I to bring his gokart,which we did not get to use much at all but it was still fun when we did get to. The mini games we played after we were pretty much done with the milsim were a absolute blast, probably more fun than the actual "MilSim" it self. They were short, fast paced and fun. All in all I had a great time time, but I did have much higher expectations.

On a side note to TCP, I would highly recommend fixing the small hump to access there parking lot, as I observed many people cracking there front bumpers and one particular person actually breaking his driving into the parking area.

I will post my gameplay when I am done editing it, but I did not get much good footage at all.

Shep:
gg

Combat Junkies Airsoft:
To start I personally had an awesome time as the tan CO. Next I would like everyone to take a second and realize this was Abbots/ TFP first time ever hosting an event. With that said yes there was some issues but hosting events is a learning experience with what works and what doesn't. Expect the next one to run a little smoother. From my point of view there was a lot of confusion about spawns medic rule ect. It didn't help that we lost half of the AO in the middle of play. The biggest issue I heard about from both sides was hit calling and the only way to fix that is to remember this is a sport of honor NOT cheating. CALL YOUR DAMN HITS.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version