Discussion Boards > Real Steel

Carrygun/handgun thread.

(1/3) > >>

luke213:
So guys I noticed we don't have a real handgun thread. Since I'm a CPL guy and carry all the time along with making carry gear for a living. I figured this was as good of time as any to remedy that problem;)

So I'll start it off with my gun I'm carrying today, my old 1911. This is an Argentine Colt, made around 1948ish from memory. It's seen allot of carry since I've owned it, and before that as well. But overall most of it's wear and tear are from my normal carry. This gun was a gift from my dad, and one of the few that has a sentimental attachment to it because of that. I changed a few things to work with my hands, they've gotten very thick from holster making daily. So the original grip safety had to be modified so I wouldn't get hammer bite. Swapped to a commander hammer for the same reason. Changed the trigger to a longer adjustable version and added three dot sights. Since I noticed shooting indoors the old school bladed sight was very difficult for my getting older eye's to pick up in low light. Other than that I also slapped on an ugly set of Hogue grips. I like them and run them on all my 1911's despite being ugly, they are super functional and fit my hands well. Other than that it's original and functions great, nice and worn in. It's a tool, but a great tool;)

So let's see your carry gun, or just your handgun if you don't have a CPL.

Take care!

Luke

Dr Black:

My first ever handgun, will also be my carry whenever I can get a day off and free up $115. I color filled the trades on both sides with some white nail polish. I really liked how it turned out, I had a few people ask how they can do it to their own. I got it for a great price new and am loving it so far.  8)

luke213:
Nice I've been a fan of the M&P series, ergonomically I think they are a much better option than Glock or XD at least in my hands. I will say though Springfield has done an excellent job in their new Mod2 stuff which is also quite good. But S&W has been making comfortable poly guns now for a while and hasn't needed to completely change the grip design either;)

I own quite a few poly lower guns but I always seem to find myself carrying a 1911 more often than not. I like the action, and there is something about them that just works well for me;)

Luke

Dr Black:

--- Quote from: luke213 on September 27, 2016, 12:31:42 PM ---Nice I've been a fan of the M&P series, ergonomically I think they are a much better option than Glock or XD at least in my hands. I will say though Springfield has done an excellent job in their new Mod2 stuff which is also quite good. But S&W has been making comfortable poly guns now for a while and hasn't needed to completely change the grip design either;)

I own quite a few poly lower guns but I always seem to find myself carrying a 1911 more often than not. I like the action, and there is something about them that just works well for me;)

Luke

--- End quote ---
I held a XD a few years back and really disliked the grip on it.  It felt almost aggressive in my hands.  I really wanted a 1911 but I could only afford a Rock Island Amory one.  My friend told me he found a deal on CDNN for these for around 370 with two magazines. I paid  just shy of $400 after the transfer fees and whatnot.

luke213:
Well I'd say on the XD the original XD and XDm were not my favorite grip. I prefer them to the Glock honestly but I prefer the M&P to either of the others. But the new mod2, not sure when it came out I'm just starting to get orders for them now so fairly recently. I handled one the other day and the closest comparison I can make is the HK P30 grip which in my opinion is one of the very best comfort grips on a handgun;) So I'd say they made strides in the right direction.

On the 1911 front generally speaking it's hard to go wrong with a Rock Island 1911, they are really good guns especially for the dollar amount. Actually the Officers 1911 on my hip right now is a Charles Daily, but that is basically a Rock Island since during the time frame this was made(may still be the case currently) it was made by Rock for Charles Daily. I got it in trade and got an excellent deal on it. It's been dead reliable, and a great gun for the price. I've handled and shot allot of them, I've got a neighbor I shoot steel with, he sells RIA guns at gunshows and whatnot and is an FFL. So I've shot allot of his RIA guns over there, and never had a single issue with them. He actually had an excellent one at the last show I had to talk myself out of;) I saw it checked over the action and man it was one of the best fit fame/slide 1911's I've handled. Must have been just the right parts that went into that particular gun. Not that normal Rock guns are bad, they aren't fit is plenty serviceable but it's a long way from say a Dan Wesson or higher end 1911's. This one however I'd put up on that level or higher even, just a great gun. But I don't really need yet another 1911 right now I've got plenty and it was another 45acp, had it been 38 super or something else I don't already own I might have traded him out of it;)

Luke

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version