Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Short zoom level scopes or short dots  (Read 9150 times)

luke213

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
Short zoom level scopes or short dots
« on: September 23, 2017, 07:33:51 PM »
So I've used red dots for years, I've used scopes for years. But now the cool kids seem to be using short dots and other low magnification stuff which you can then twist and get say 4x. So I'm curious what you guys using them are thinking of them in practice.

I just started testing a Bushnell 1.5-4x scope on my own sort of DMR M4 and I'm not sure what I think of it yet. But I haven't had it long enough. I'm not sure I like 1.5x vs. Iron Sights or a 1x red dot. I don't like when shooting both eyes open that the scope occludes more of my vision compared to a red dot or it seems to.

This all might be things I'll get used to, but I'm curious what you guys think of it. Is it a fad, or is it the best thing ever or something in between.

Take care!

Luke

EDIT: I should mention I was planning on putting that Bushnell on my real AR but like allot of things I like to test them with airsoft first and see how I like them moving/shooting etc. Gives me a chance to shake things out before I change something on a platform that slings lead rather than plastic. And I'm not a super secret squirrel or anything my AR is home defense and plinking critters around here. But I still like to insure I'm not changing something before testing it fairly well first and making sure it works for me.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 07:36:08 PM by luke213 »
xaos - "298,000 yen for a complete gun. How much is that in real money?"

T6e9a

• Trade Count: (10)
    • View Profile
Re: Short zoom level scopes or short dots
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 07:30:01 PM »
The short dot I use, the VisionKing 1.25-5x has been an absolute champ. My biggest thing on it, especially with the use of larger profile goggles, is its eye relief. Short dots, compared to most other magnified optics, tend to have a lot longer eye relief. Running one on my AK, I would almost say it is too far back to use comfortably. But on any other platform with longer monolithic upper rail, is perfect.

The magnification is just right. I personally use about 3x for typical shooting/engagements or the full 5x if trying to ID targets. And also, it can be used pretty darn close to a quick acquisition red dot at the 1.25x.

Overall, I'm in love with them and will probably be picking up more to have on other guns soon.
Offering airsoft repair, upgrades, tuning and customization, check out: Tange Six Airsoft Teching Facebook
Check out what I have for sale: Tango Six MIA sale thread

luke213

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 07:48:46 PM »
Maybe that's more what's throwing me. I didn't really pay that much attention when mounting it to the eye relief being different than normal. But I seem to think your right that it's sitting further forward than would be normal.

I need to do more testing to see but I think maybe it's that more than blocking vision. Though maybe it's both but since it's further out it's blocking more visibility.

That's interesting though now I'll have to compare;)

Did you find it took much time to get used to or did you find it worked pretty well right out of the gates for ya? I'm still a touch slow but I've spent little time with it. But so far it still feels a bit clunky compared to a red dot or irons. Or really an ordinary scope but I think it's just getting used to it.

Take care

Luke

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

xaos - "298,000 yen for a complete gun. How much is that in real money?"

T6e9a

• Trade Count: (10)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 09:24:46 PM »
Compared to a normal scope, right off the bat, immediately fell in love with the eye relief. Its far, open and bright. Don't have to get your eye all chummy with the lens.

While it is nice, it definitely took a little getting used to. Getting the distance from the eye just right took a little as well as the alignment. Both things took a mix of playing around with rail positioning and cheek weld(/angle?)

And while I haven't used it too much in game just messing around with it and sighting it in, I have been able to get used to it.

I've never really extensively used a red dot(that I recall), I usually just point-shoot or use irons most the time. But the magnification I can already say will be very nice for IDing in game. Last game I was at, the magnifier/Eotech combo wasn't the greatest. Was very dark and hard to see clearly, not great eye relief, along with not being magnified enough to even accomplish IDing.
Offering airsoft repair, upgrades, tuning and customization, check out: Tange Six Airsoft Teching Facebook
Check out what I have for sale: Tango Six MIA sale thread