Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Polarstar Shot delayer for DMR  (Read 19641 times)

kjones734

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Old school member
    • View Profile
Polarstar Shot delayer for DMR
« on: February 19, 2016, 06:31:28 PM »
I am currently making a small circuit that will add a delay between shots. You will keep all of your normal settings on FCU. My circuit will plug in between the FCU and the P* engine itself. The circuit will have a 3 position toggle to decide if you want a 1 second, 3 second, or 5 second delay between shots. The gun will be unable to fire even if the trigger is pushed until the delay time is up. ( you can hold the trigger and wait for the delay to end, but not necessary).

I am designing this with the DMR market in mind. The P* makes the perfect platform for DMR or sniping but in its current state it is unusable due to the high rate of fire even in semi. My idea is to allow P* users to go above the commonly used limit of 1.44J but following the same guild lines as bolt action sniper rifles have. I feel if a P* has a 5 second delay between shots then there is no reason they should not be allowed to shoot at the max of 540 FPS.

I dont have any specific FPS work out for the delays times. I would think that a 1 second delay could shoot around 440 FPS, a 3 second delay could fire around 500 FPS and 5 seconds can push the max of 550. ( all FPS need to be worked out into actual energy with .2 and converted to the P* users weight bb to make it even, similar to the current 1.44J max)

I know with my bolt action rifle (550 fps) I can fire faster then 1 round per 5 seconds so I dont see a issue here with a P* doing the same thing. So I would like to know what the communities thoughts are on this. Does anyone see any issues with allowing the P* to fire at a higher velocity if the time between shots is long enough to keep things fair and safe?

As for price I am thinking I can sell them for $25-30 and still make it worth my time and effort. I am a senior in college with my major being Electrical Engineering so I do actually know how to make this circuit. It will look pretty professional but will be hand soldered instead of machine made. The circuit will require no changes to your gun or settings. the circuit works by making it impossible for the trigger signal to pass to the engine until the delay is up.

Also if you think the delay times need tweaking I can change them to pretty much anything you want.

Let me know what your feelings are on this.

luke213

• Administrator
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
Re: Polarstar Shot delayer for DMR
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 06:58:20 PM »
Well interesting idea, I think it has merit. I'm not too familiar with the issues you guys are having with polarstar setups other than what I read, since no one remotely local does tank filling around here. So none of the local guys run anything CO2 or HPA around here.

But I will say on delay I'd recommend not being punitive. By that I mean with 5 seconds delay I wouldn't run that at all. My VSR10 shoots 550fps and I can shoot at least a round a second or maybe a bit slower, I can't see any reason for it to be any slower than that. Heck I just tuned up an M16A2 I just bought as a "sniper" type of rifle, and it's currently shooting around 540fps and since I haven't killed auto yet(will but just testing still), it's shooting around 20RPS or there abouts and on semi I can shoot pretty much as fast as I'd like to pull the trigger. Not saying that's "normal" but it's also not outside the realm of what guys have done for years with DMR type of rifles and sniper AEG's, so I don't see any reason to penalize polarstar users more so than others.

I'd say whatever the rules, and setup are they should be the same across the board. But I do think the project is a good idea, but I'd make the time delay programmable but even so I think my own 2 cents is that I wouldn't use it. If the restrictions were on P* stuff then I'd build AEG instead.

Just my 2 cents though from a somewhat outside view;)

Take care!

Luke
xaos - "298,000 yen for a complete gun. How much is that in real money?"

kjones734

• Old school member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 07:51:34 PM »
The issue with polarstars and high rof is the instant trigger response. So firing above the semi limit of 410 fps. You can still fire at full auto rates. So hosts have nerfed there ability majorly and killed the dmr potential. This is a attempt to fix that while keeping everyone safe.

luke213

• Administrator
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 08:03:49 PM »
I get that but I'm just saying AEG's are capable of a very fast trigger response now as well on semi, it's not instant but it's dang fast especially compared to stock guns. So my point is just that I can't see a point to making a polarstar run worse than an AEG. That's I guess what I'm getting at.

Luke

kjones734

• Old school member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 10:30:06 AM »
I totaly agree with you but thats the way it is now. With the current 1.44j limit you can not use a polarstar as a dmr. If you shoot a .4g bb it will be going around 200 fps. And a .2 at 400 fps is not very accurate. So im trying to make a step forward and make possible to use the platform to its full potential. I agree that a 5 second delay os extreme but if thats is what is required then so be it. I thing it would be better to have a 1,2,3 second delay.

Pagan

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Old school member
  • Most people don't like me. I'm cool with that.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 02:13:01 PM »
The limit is 1.54j, but it's not much of a difference.

P* has a new fcu with a shot delay in it. If you send in your older fcus, the reflash the firm ware to the new settings.

kjones734

• Old school member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 07:42:59 PM »
How long of a delay is the max? Also as a host of a large field would you consider allowing for above 1.54j if the gun firing had a sufficient delay time?

Edit: I looked it up, you can delay up to one shot per 9.9 seconds and you can choose anything in between. So this makes my circuit unnessicary. How ever my circuit could still be used on a AEG if anyone would be interested in a delay between shots. My question still remains though, would field hosts allow for polarstar dmr up to the same energy as a 550 fps .2 bb as long as the delay is appropriate? If so what would be the delay times for the corrisponding fps?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 08:10:27 PM by kjones734 »

Pagan

• Global Moderator
  • Old school member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 08:31:19 AM »
If the shot delay was verified by field staff, I'd allow over the current 1.54j limit. I would limit to at least a second required between shots.

Personally I think that anything over 500fps, EVEN for a bolt action is unneeded. With the advancement in barrels and hop up modifications there's no reason to be shooting that high. None.

We currently use an extended MED for anything over 450 fps. I would put a 100ft MED on anything shooting over 450 fps/1.88j

It's strictly a safety concern. I can count the number of players in this community that I'd trust to shoot that high and keep the actual MED on both hands. Airsoft is a sport based on honor and integrity, but sadly those are two traits that are sorely missing in the sport today.

When standard replicas can reach out over 100 ft and a lot closing in on 200 ft, the entire fps is needed for range is outdated.

kjones734

• Old school member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2016, 10:32:15 AM »
I agree on the 100 MED for anything over 450 fps.

For the polarstar delay feature it ranges between 0 and 99. So every increment is a tenth of a second. I think that if the user added 2 delay per 10fps starting at 400 fps we could work out somthing acceptable.

This would work out to:
1 second @ 450
2 seconds @ 500
3 seconds @ 550

This system would allow for adjustible delay for anything inbetween 400 and 550.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 10:33:58 AM by kjones734 »

Pagan

• Global Moderator
  • Old school member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2016, 11:25:03 AM »
Honestly, I would rather not allow anything over 500 fps. 550 is outdated and dangerous in my opinion.

More and more people use the limits as a goal not a guideline and I'm tired of having to try and figure out what bullshit players are trying to get away with at events.

National events like lion claws have the right idea.  1.55j for ALL primary weapons.

Period.End of story.

They allow for special sniper teams, but it has to be ok'd by staff.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen players trying to figure out what they can do so they can hit the top limit for fps, instead of what they can do to make their replica more accurate.

It sucks for responsible players, but for every responsible person, there are three dickheads trying to get away with stuff.

The UK don't allow for replicas over 1.6j. An entire country, not a state, or a single field, the entire country.

I just host at one field, and I use the MIA rules as my baseline, but I would honestly like to cut anything above 500 fps at my events. What other hosts want to do, is up to them. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

luke213

• Administrator
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2016, 12:20:56 PM »
I personally don't mind high FPS guns so long as the guy shooting it is safe and responsible. I really don't think 550 is that much less safe than 500 but I do like to push the FPS limit since I do gain more energy which gives me more range. I do a ton of work to try and gain any other accuracy I can but it all depends on the range. In winter I'm fairly consistently shooting 100+ yards since with the leaves off it's much easier to take long shots. For summer 100 yards is rare unless there is a clearing. And I could hit 100 with 500fps, but I don't think I'd stretch much past that from what I've seen and tested and since my goal is as long as possible I take every advantage I can;)

But I would support an approval only system for anything over 450 or even 400 since the risk goes up allot at those levels but even lower fps up close can be dangerous as seen in that thread about mouth protection.

Take care

Luke

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Pagan

• Global Moderator
  • Old school member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2016, 12:39:13 PM »
That's the problem. The current rules allow anyone to run at those fps, but there are only a handful of players I trust to run that level and be reaponsible.

Doing a vouch system for anything over 450 would ease my concern.

As far as 550 only being a little more than 500, the same goes for 500 vs 450 then 450 vs 410. You begin to argue semantics at that point.

luke213

• Administrator
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2016, 12:47:40 PM »
Well with the MIA rules like always guys are more than welcome to run more restrictive rules and I think that's fine. Really I don't feel our current rules are unsafe, but if guys want to further that idea and make it safer then I'd be fine with that as well.

I agree with what your saying on Fps but the long standing idea that 550 is  the limit is more less where I see a high baseline of sniper rifles. In particular bolt guns since that is a role with allot of disadvantages compared to an AEG in most cases. I'd be willing to put single shot guns at 500fps or 600fps for bolt and 550 for semi auto.

I'm actually slightly flexible so long as it's safe. I wouldn't mind going higher in fps so long as the MED went up accordingly. I don't think it's necessary with most games but the longest confirmed airsoft sniper kill was 433ft. Confirmed and from memory he was running 0.66g bio ceramic at an appropriate fps around 650 with a 0.2g bb. Might be off on fps but I do believe it was a bit beyond the 550 limit of most fields. But like I said I'm slightly flexible there so long as it's safe.

Take care

Luke

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

kjones734

• Old school member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2016, 01:24:38 PM »
I think 550 is a solid max, I see no need for anything above that. I definatly think not every player is responsible enough for 400+ fps. I think a age restriction and a vouch system for above 450 would be a good idea ( except bolt action rifles).

Gunny87

• Old school member
  • SK 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2016, 01:29:20 PM »
I agree with @Pagan that the 550fps is outdated, however it was intended to keep players safe with the technology available at the time. Which were AEGs, gas pistols, and bolt action sniper rifle platforms which was either spring or gas powered.

The game has changed with the re-introduction of HPA, but also with advances in the quality of components so now AEGs can handle a higher velocity than they could 15-20 years ago. I try to hold the same standards for both AEGs and HPA and not single out HPA since it's not right. 

My personal opinion is that anything that has the "ability" to fire full auto whether it's FCU locked to semi, has the selector plate modified should not have the same FPS limit as a bolt action sniper rifle.

You can modify that gun to fire full auto again, but you can't modify a bolt action sniper rifle to fire full outo unless you're that one guy who put an HPA engine into a bolt action platform (VSR body) which I imagine he's one of the only people on this earth to have done so.

The same goes with an AEG or HPA converted airsoft gun.

Only allow those that have put the money and time in tuning their bolt action sniper rifles to utilize our highest limits. That still doesn't guarantee that they are responsible players, but it limits the user base since you hardly see people using them these days.

I'd favor limiting all other platforms to 500 fps regardless of the technology being used. Regardless if it's modded to semi auto and has a shot delay.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 01:35:17 PM by Gunny87 »
G&P MK23 Stoner LMG (SMP'd) - G&P MK18 Mod 1 - G&P CQBR (Protech MKII) - G&P M177 - STAR FNC x2 - G&G MP5 (Protech MKII) - CA M24  - Cybergun M&P 9