Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Airsoft sentry  (Read 9921 times)

Doctor

• Trade Count: (0)
    • View Profile
Airsoft sentry
« on: June 30, 2015, 02:14:52 PM »
Alright, so I found plans for a sentry gun setup. It may be impractical but would it be allowed in rec games? I really want to build one but don't want to waste the time or money if it will not be allowed. Thanks for any input.

Gimpalong

• Old school member
  • I make maps.
    • View Profile
Re: Airsoft sentry
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 03:41:43 PM »
It would be up to the discretion of the event host whether or not it would be allowed.

Personally, I think it would be hilarious.

That said, how does a sentry gun know to stop firing on whatever target it is engaging? If the sentry was equipped with a full power AEG it could do some serious overshooting if its target didn't move out of the line of fire. Obviously, human players can tell when their target is hit and will stop firing; this isn't true of a sentry and that is a problem.

Doctor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 06:22:47 AM »
I had planned on making it semi auto only with a mid power aeg ~300-350. I'm still researching it so I'm sure of the full capabilities for autostopping. I might look into making it remote controlled but I think that would take away the point.

:edit:
Thinking about it more in depth, it might be best to make it remote controlled and have some sort of a fair play system. I wouldn't want a ref getting shot at or have no way of letting the opposition take it out. I saw a version on YouTube that has pressure pads that when shot will disable the system so I might want to look into that for it.

I feel I should mention I only plan on using this at outdoor recs.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 06:39:02 AM by Doctor »

M.S.-ARC

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Old school member
  • Hellfish!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 02:58:30 PM »
If you want to see some examples of well done sentries, check this out:

Doctor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 06:12:47 PM »
Yes, I did see that system and am going to take a few things from it.

Troubadour

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Old school member
  • Bastard's seXO
    • View Profile
    • Troubadour's Website
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 11:27:39 PM »
I don't have the official Bastard stance available, but as far as I am concerned any event I am hosting it'll be a no. There is no use for something like this in airsoft in my opinion. It takes away from the spirit of the game and if I came across one in the field, I'd probably just turn it over so it faces a wall or the ground.
Bastard's Airsoft XO, Event Host, and  all around terrible person.