Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Recommended Gear for Milsim West?  (Read 12473 times)

Ajax

• Trade Count: (0)
    • View Profile
Recommended Gear for Milsim West?
« on: August 25, 2015, 12:10:57 AM »
I'm looking into going to Assault on Derbent, the only problem is I'm not sure what kind of gear I should get for the event; as I have never participated in a 40 hour milsim before.

I know I would need a ruck sack, any that you guys recommend? Main thing is it needs to fit over my JPC. (EDIT) and be affordable, I can't spend $300 on what is essentially a large back pack.

For food what would you guys bring? I thought that I would just buy some MRE's but was interested in hearing of any alternatives. 

For cold weather gear are we supposed to have faction appropriate jackets? Or could we just bring in some random coat. I wasn't sure about this as in the TACSOP it simply states "cold/wet weather gear."

Do I just need to get the Milsim West tourniquet? Or do I need to get a full IFAK 

Please let me know if you can think of Anything, not mentioned in the TACSOP, that you feel is important.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 08:46:59 AM by Ajax »
Member of Task Force: Phalnax

Per Angusta Ad Augusta

Gimpalong

• Old school member
  • I make maps.
    • View Profile
Re: Recommended Gear for Milsim West?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 09:28:44 AM »
You can buy a medium ALICE pack with frame on Ebay for less than $50. It's not going to be as comfortable as a modern pack, but it'll hold what you need, it's an appropriate color and it'll be durable as hell.

Same thing goes for a cold weather jacket. Old Goretex ECWCS jackets can be had for less than $100 (typically less than $80).

« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 09:30:46 AM by Gimpalong »

luke213

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 11:35:48 AM »
I can't say much towards what you'll need for the event since I've not attended anything quite that cool. That said I've done a fair bit with the ECWCS goretex stuff and I've been pretty impressed with how well it works. I've actually been planning on switching my normal BDU's over to them for a while since our weather up here is cold, or wet more often than not bar a little bit of summer when it's hot. So having the option to not be soaking wet is a great plus when playing, especially when your going to ground often. Ebay has been a good source for used ECWCS gear, I also can highly recommend the level 1 and level 2 generation 3 long underware/base layers. They work excellent in allot of conditions, well worth the money for under BDU's or goretex.

Luke
xaos - "298,000 yen for a complete gun. How much is that in real money?"

Ajax

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 10:35:16 AM »
 I've seen some people bring hardshell and softshell jackets, but to save money I think I'm just going to get a waterproof outer jacket and bring thermals for the colder weather.

These are some links to a few of the jackets I was looking at.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPECIAL-OPS-TACTICAL-SOFTSHELL-JACKET-Military-Jackets-Camping-Jackets-Coats-/251910332615

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Helikon-SOFT-SHELL-level-5-Gen-2-waterproof-combat-outdoor-Jacket-Camogrom-/181809641884

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Men-Tactical-Jacket-Hard-Shell-Sport-Outdoor-Military-Waterproof-Windproof-Coat-/301723094547?hash=item4640190e13

Budget for cold/wet weather gear is $60-$90.

Per Angusta Ad Augusta

Gimpalong

• Old school member
  • I make maps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 11:08:51 AM »
Yeah, a simple waterproof rain jacket will work to keep the wet off. I'd be wary of random China produced hardshells. They are advertised as being "waterproof" but that could be total bunk.

No matter what you buy, the general idea for living in inclement weather is to layer.

Base Layer - against your skin, best to be moisture wicking
Warmth Layer - designed to insulate and hold body heat in
Waterproof Layer - keeps water, snow, wind off of your insulation layer and body in general.

The great thing about Goretex and other waterproof but breathable materials is that they keep water from the outside out, but allow heat and moisture generated by your body to pass through. Totally waterproof, non-breathable materials trap perspiration and make it seems like it's raining inside your jacket when you start to heat up. Layers like this are great for keeping out a downpour, but not so great when you're actually hiking or doing anything physical.

luke213

• Administrator
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 12:39:11 PM »
If you hunt you can find ECWCS gortex in those price ranges, $30ish for bottoms about the same for top.

Luke

Ajax

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 04:32:12 PM »
The only thing is when I looked at the goretex I only found m81 woodland and tri color desert. The requirement for the NATO cold weather gear is that the color has to be multicam, tan, or alpha grey (PCU.)

If they make some goretex in those camo schemes that would be fantastic.

Per Angusta Ad Augusta

luke213

• Administrator
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 04:39:21 PM »
Hmm multicam is available since it's current issue its but more pricey.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gen-III-ECWCS-Level-6-GoreTex-Rain-Gear-Multicam-Jacket-L6-USGI-USED-/191633795464?var=&hash=item2c9e43a988

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Level-6-GEN-III-L6-GORETEX-Multicam-Trousers-Pants-ECWCS-Large-Regular-LR-/161798771879?hash=item25abf554a7

Those aren't lined, it's just the goretex outer layer so light like a rain coat or there abouts. So do plan layers like mentioned above. I'd really push you towards the Level 1 and 2 ECWCS Gen 3 stuff as it's damn good especially for the price.

Luke