Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Odd Radio Settings.  (Read 11376 times)

Simon

• Trade Count: (0)
    • View Profile
Odd Radio Settings.
« on: October 17, 2015, 06:19:51 PM »
So I was at a game recently and was having trouble reaching anyone on the team's designated radio channel even though I could hear occasional garbled static. Come to find out, a squad on our team was using radios that weren't configured using standard channels. The last time something like this happened a group was using very powerful radios on a sub-channel.

My question is why cut yourself off from the rest of the team and is operating a radio in this way illegal?

Stinger

• Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
    • View Profile
Re: Odd Radio Settings.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 09:25:43 PM »
My team always uses frequencies that are not in the GMRS/FRS band (which is where "standard" radios operate). We do this because we became annoyed by other groups jumping on channels they weren't supposed to be on, both intentionally and unintentionally.
Of course, we also maintain communication with the standard radio bands. However, our "squad channel" is typically in the MURS frequencies. As long as we do not exceed two watts of output signal strength, we can operate there without licenses. So it is legal.
-Stinger

YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/user/CStingerGhost1
"Think of yourselves as a hand. Each of you is a finger, and without the others you're useless."

Chase

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 08:58:47 PM »
MURS is always a nice set of frequencies. Most people won't be there since they buy cheap frs/gmrs radios.

Gimpalong

• Old school member
  • I make maps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 12:23:53 PM »
Speaking for the Suicide Kings, we always use channels not on the traditional GMRS/FRS bands. Typically, event communications are a totally disaster because everyone is on one or two channels, people haven't turned off VOX and/or are hot-mic-ing everybody else, or someone is screaming into their mic unintelligibly.

That's why we use channels that no one else can get on. We usually monitor the broader team channel and them communicate back and forth on our own SK net.

zorak

• Horrible old man
  • Administrator
  • Old school member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 10:49:48 AM »
So I was at a game recently and was having trouble reaching anyone on the team's designated radio channel even though I could hear occasional garbled static. Come to find out, a squad on our team was using radios that weren't configured using standard channels. The last time something like this happened a group was using very powerful radios on a sub-channel.

My question is why cut yourself off from the rest of the team and is operating a radio in this way illegal?

I want to find the guy who made up the name "sub-channel" and ridicule him until his entire family cries. I also want to do the same thing to the guy who invented the feature. It's entirely legal to use them but it's dumb. Not being able to hear other users of the channel means you can't tell when the frequency is clear, so you're likely to jam everyone else without meaning to.

Using alternate frequencies like MURS can make it easier to communicate without interference, but you need to be sure you know the law. Remember that this hobby will always be vulnerable to attack by bleeding hearts. One media story about airsofters screwing up radios for other people could lead to a rash of editorials about banning the sport. Be cool out there.

Moment of self-promotion: http://www.affronter.org/Airsoft/radios.html covers privacy codes and other topics.
"Zorak's like a Long Island Ice Tea of hate." -Xaos