Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Poll

Would you be interested in buying an MIA patch?

Yep sign me up
21 (95.5%)
Nope not at all
1 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: MIA Patch  (Read 39593 times)

luke213

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
Re: MIA Patch
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2016, 05:39:24 PM »
Well time wise once I get all the bugs sorted and get a process nailed down it shouldn't be super time intensive to make them. But I really won't know until I get some time to do the whole process along with cutting and stitching the velcro etc. Since I'll be doing this on the side to support the cost of MIA hosting etc, it's unfortunately not paying my bills;) Just more so making it so the hosting fees aren't coming out of my pocket;)

Either way I suspect I should be able to batches of 20 pretty easily and if they sell etc, I should be able to keep a fair supply coming as needed. But I'll plan on trying to get something setup process wise early next month. Right now shop time is just insane, my wife has been using the laser for her business, which means I'm helping and trying to get orders out the doors etc. Just insanity around here at least for the next little bit, heck I haven't played airsoft since Irene since I've been too dang busy;)

Either way though I'll keep you guys posted with what I find and how it comes together.

Take care!

Luke
xaos - "298,000 yen for a complete gun. How much is that in real money?"

Squib

• Trade Count: (0)
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2016, 05:42:09 PM »
No rush I just wanted to make sure it was still a thing. Family comes first so take your time

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

luke213

• Administrator
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2016, 05:43:38 PM »
Yeah right now focus for me has to be on the shop at least for the next little bit. I'm just a little pissed that I've had so many things come up and I haven't been able to get this done and going already:)

Tis the way it goes with youngin's and this time of year;)

Luke

luke213

• Administrator
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2017, 03:52:43 PM »
Just an update and a question. So today I took a few minutes and did some more work on the design and cut a few test pieces etc also swapped the year over to 2017 since of course we're into a new year;) And what I found was it's going to be somewhat more time consuming than I thought, and there are some things that could change that. I'm going to walk through the process of making one below for an example for guys not familiar with it.

So process as it stands is laminate the velcro to the rear of the leather, since I'm a leatherworker I'm using Barge contact adhesive which should form a good long term bond(it's used to install soles on shoes etc). But that means putting adhesive on each side and waiting until it gets tacky then sticking the two together. Then I toss that piece in the laser engraver load up the image, and do the engraving of the image which takes around 5 minutes or so. Then I open up my cut path for the laser and hit go and it takes maybe 30 seconds to cut through the outer circle around the patch. Then I take that patch over to the sewing machine and stitch around the outside edge to attach the velcro to the leather which takes a few minutes.

Now that's the first portion of the process here is where it could deviate. So now I've got a "complete" patch though the edges are a little rough etc, from the cutting and whatnot. If this were a normal project of mine say a holster I'd go ahead and finish the edges by burnishing them, which takes another 5-10 minutes or so. Then oil the leather, wax it and buff the top, then I could clear coat it or leave it wax finished. I'm leaning towards wax finishing since they will show a bit more wear and tear over time and I think will give them a very cool look over time where clear coat may take away some of that feel of the leather. But that said I'm open to either way neither seems easier at this point.

The edging and that part of the finishing is where the question comes in. So my work typically is absolutely trying to build the best holster I can no matter the cost time or money wise. With this I'm trying to figure out if guys are interested in having the best patch or if cost is more of an issue. I don't have a problem leaving the edges somewhat unfinished since at the end of the day it's a patch. But my nature because of what I do is to finish everything to a higher level.

So what do you guys think, I'm leaning towards $12 for the unfinished version or less finished and around $18-20 with the edging and whatnot. Also this could drop over time as I get quicker and better at making them. Since it's a hand process there are always places to improve as I figure out better ways to do things. This would likely be for the first 20-50 and then from there I may have ideas on how to make things faster and easier which may change pricing etc.

So shoot me some input, right now the sample is a finished version which has a few more steps time wise to be complete and ready for pictures but those will come soon as well.

Take care!

Luke

EDIT: Here is the finished version which awesomely I put the wrong velcro on;) Somehow I managed to put loop on this one rather than hook not sure what I was thinking, just grabbed the velcro I had bought to attach to my old helmet and used it rather than the black I had bought for patches;) So this one is a scrap piece at this point, but it still mostly looks the part;)

« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 04:06:04 PM by luke213 »

TauterTwiggy

• Trade Count: (1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2017, 04:45:22 PM »
That looks awesome and I'd gladly pay $20 for such a premium patch. I'd say go with whatever will last the longest and stand up to wear and tear but I like my guns clean and factory new.

Zzan

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2017, 08:18:41 PM »
That looks outstanding.  Is the one in your picture of edges finished or not?

Either way that is worth the higher price you have listed.  I, personally, would be good either way.  I think it would wear/age well and come out great.

luke213

• Administrator
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2017, 08:23:26 PM »
That one above is finished edges, I've done a couple more tests since then and I'm leaning towards finished edges etc. It just looks better to me;) But like I said I'm used to everything being finished, there are allot of leather products out there without finished edges and the like it's become common over the years. But I generally do things the long way when I'm doing something.

I think the way I'm going to go with this is finished, and then if guys decide they would rather something without that finishing for a cheaper price I'll tackle that when/if it happens. Also I could do these without the velcro if guys wanted to stitch them or apply adhesive etc. That would make it a bit cheaper as well since it cuts out some of the material as well as some of the steps.

Either way I think we'll go forward with this as it is, and I should have a few ready to ship here in the next couple days. And then from there I'll see how long it takes me to stock up 20 of them etc. Also I'm planning on running them through paypal for payment and shipping, but I've gotta get a little time to setup that portion of my paypal since I haven't used it for that in years. Typically I just take direct payments through there, so more to come as I get it all setup.

Take care!

Luke

EDIT: Alright I took a look and paypal is actually already still setup since the last time I used it for my business, and do note at the top of the link to pay it will say Adams Holsters since MIA doesn't actually have any sort of legal entity so the funds are going to me basically via the business for the hosting as well as the patches etc. If we get to the point that things change and say there is enough demand that more money comes in through this than the cost of hosting etc, then I'll see about setting up something specific to MIA IE some sort of legal entity but at this point I don't think we need those extra complications. Mostly just trying to keep the site from directly coming out of my pocket and give guys cool patches in the process;)

None the less the link is here:  Click here to buy the MIA patch via paypal

Also as I mentioned above I've got 3 done and ready to ship, if I feel like we get more orders coming in for patches than I can keep up with in a reasonable time frame say a couple days from cleared payment till shipping. Then I'll pull the link down, and start doing batches. I'm still planning on shooting for 20 this first batch, but I'm not sure if 19 guys are going to order tonight etc;) So we'll play it by ear, if for some reason I got 100 orders overnight or the like I'll just refund those guys and we'll go directly to the batch system but it's going to require more setup and I'll likely have to run things through my actual site and shopping cart so I can do inventory management etc.

So any questions shout, you guys that want a patch sooner than later click the link above;)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 09:20:59 PM by luke213 »

TauterTwiggy

• Trade Count: (1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2017, 09:54:04 PM »
Dibs, could always consider adding a batch/serial number or have them signed by someone if they become more popular for an additional fee.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 09:58:24 PM by TauterTwiggy »

luke213

• Administrator
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2017, 10:04:14 PM »
Well we'll see how this first bunch goes, I did realize a minute ago while working on a fourth that my first snag will be running out of velcro;) I've got enough leather on hand to pretty much handle anything, but since I ordered velcro just to test with I only bought a yard wide enough. So we'll see how many I can build from my yard then I'll pull down the link unless my next order gets here in time.

That said, I've had a pretty big response so far and we're past what I currently have built. So I'm going to spend a bit more time tonight and make a few more to try and keep up with it. But like I mentioned if I can't keep up we'll change to batches etc, but for now I'm not too concerned;)

Thanks to the guys putting in orders it's appreciated and certainly will help keep MIA funded;) I should also note because I've told other guys though I'm not sure I've posted it here, even without patches MIA isn't going anywhere. I'll fund it if necessary but it's great to see guys willing to help out.

Take care!

Luke

EDIT:

10 done and quite a few already spoken for, this is the end of my first batch of velcro. So I've got some coming in around a week and I'll actually put in another order for a bit more to make sure I won't run out again. But this will get things started.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 12:01:49 AM by luke213 »

Zzan

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2017, 09:55:28 AM »
I  have ordered one, even though I no longer live in MI :P

MI is still my airsoft home :)

Thanks

Gimpalong

• Old school member
  • I make maps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2017, 10:27:59 AM »
That's pretty damn sweet. Be a nice addition to my MiA patch collection.

luke213

• Administrator
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2017, 03:25:21 PM »
Thanks guys;) I should have enough velcro to put together another oh around 50 so that should hold us for a while for sure coming this next week I'd say. I'm also planning some other patches out of leather just for kicks so I'll likely eventually put it up on the site etc, once I get around to doing that part of things and put the MIA patch through the same system. But since it's going to take some time I don't have to do it;) It's likely going to wait for a bit. So for the time being I'm just going to keep doing these small scale and go from there.

Guys that ordered patches they should be out the door tomorrow, we've had some snow stopping the mail this week. Should be coming today though I haven't seen it yet, so they will likely go out with the mail tomorrow for you guys.

Take care!

Luke

VooDoo

• Trade Count: (8)
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2017, 07:56:22 PM »
Ok can I still order a patch or do I need to wait now? And is it the $19.99?

luke213

• Administrator
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2017, 09:27:01 PM »
Yep and yep, right now I've got 6 more that I can sell via MIA. I've got a bunch of local guys that have claimed some as well like another 6-7 however they are picking them up a game on the 4th of next month here at my field/shop. So I will have more materials and build theirs out before they get here to pick them up. I had planned to sell them ones out of this batch but once they pretty much sucked up the rest I decided I'd keep these just for shipping;)

Also guys who ordered yours went out in the mail today you should have them in a day or two so call it mid next week or however fast USPS is running. I sent them via standard mail which I never do for holsters etc, so I don't have a clue how fast that runs to lower Michigan from up here. But if for some reason you don't see them by end of the week shoot me a note and I'll ship out a new one or something for ya.

Take care!

Luke

VooDoo

• Trade Count: (8)
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2017, 12:24:03 AM »
Ok then, paid haha.