Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Facebook banning gun sales(firearms not airsoft at least not likely)  (Read 12307 times)

luke213

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
http://www.nytimes.com/…/techno…/facebook-gun-sales-ban.html

I know I've made this point before, but this is the direction Facebook is heading, and has been heading for a long time. While this doesn't effect airsoft at this point, or at least there hasn't been a statement to read with an actual listing of what they are banning for sure. But none the less this is pretty much the stance that Proboards held when MIA initially started up years ago. Later they moved into bans on knives, replica firearms etc which drove the move from the old site to one that couldn't be censored based on the hosting companies beliefs.

None the less found this interesting and while it's not airsoft related(likely) at this point we all should be aware how much faith, energy etc that we are putting into using Facebook itself as a platform.

Luke
xaos - "298,000 yen for a complete gun. How much is that in real money?"

Gunny87

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Old school member
  • SK 29
    • View Profile
Re: Facebook banning gun sales(firearms not airsoft at least not likely)
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 01:40:46 PM »
Figured I would reply to this and report that some FB airsoft related groups have already been shut down. Looks like it's happening sooner than we thought. Looks like most FB airsoft related groups admins are taking action and are updating their group names and descriptions to minimize their chances of getting shut down.
G&P MK23 Stoner LMG (SMP'd) - G&P MK18 Mod 1 - G&P CQBR (Protech MKII) - G&P M177 - STAR FNC x2 - G&G MP5 (Protech MKII) - CA M24  - Cybergun M&P 9

luke213

• Administrator
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 02:20:03 PM »
This is the first I've heard of this happening and wish I was surprised but our guns just look too real for people who see scary guns and hit the ban button. I just posted on the Facebook group basically a PSA saying that they have shut down some airsoft groups and if things go sideways come on over here.

I'm not sure what the results will be of this move on their part but honestly knowing their political leaning I wouldn't be at all surprised to find all groups gone. That said I'm hoping that isn't the case and things will pretty much continue as normal. At the end of the day we're all there on their server and it's their decision what they want to do with it, so I guess we'll wait and see what comes of it.

Thanks though for passing on the word, I hadn't seen that until now and if you get any more info please do share it here.

Take care!

Luke

Gunny87

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Old school member
  • SK 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 05:11:01 PM »
Sure thing. I read that 5-6 groups were taken down and the admins were updating the group names to remove "guns" from their Facebook group names as well as even going as far as banning the sale of "real steal" parts and avoiding the mention of real gun manufacturer names. Not sure how much it'll help at this point. We'll see what happens.
G&P MK23 Stoner LMG (SMP'd) - G&P MK18 Mod 1 - G&P CQBR (Protech MKII) - G&P M177 - STAR FNC x2 - G&G MP5 (Protech MKII) - CA M24  - Cybergun M&P 9

luke213

• Administrator
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 08:35:59 PM »
Well official policy now bans the sale of airsoft guns I just read about it:

https://www.facebook.com/help/1225342300814365

So I guess it's just a matter of time until airsoft sales no longer exist on facebook or the go further underground, it's stupid, but it's Facebook and I can't say I'm surprised.

Luke

SkyPilot

• Trade Count: (0)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 04:47:38 PM »
Next Slack and other message systems, and possibly the ISP's will ban airsoft too, and we'll have to Buy/Trade/Sell on old IRC and FTP servers.  Before you know it, we'll all be on the dark web and treated as outlaws.

Maybe I should host a IRC server, we could call it MIAO (Michigan Airsoft Outlaws).

Outlaw SkyPilot... I like the sound of that. :)

luke213

• Administrator
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 04:49:36 PM »
Well I expect they will take after firearms first so let's fight that fight and hope that it never goes any further ;)

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

MadBrax

• Trade Count: (0)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 12:59:12 AM »
Airsoft swap meet had 13,000 members strong and was banned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luke213

• Administrator
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 01:03:14 PM »
And for guys who aren't on Faceboook, we did go ahead and ban sales of airsoft guns there to keep the group around, basically we banned anything that would look like any part of a firearm to someone clueless about guns just to be safe. Facebook being a liberal leaning company in policy it seems best to stay a bit off the bleeding edge of their rules.

But since this original post there has been allot of shake up across many groups dealing with airsoft as well as firearms. Even gone as far as us having to ban dummy guns in a Holster maker group I'm an admin of. Which is even more silly than airsoft, since it's a block of plastic or aluminum that looks like a gun... None the less it's their rules.

Luke