Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Getting ready for MILSIM  (Read 8161 times)

m4everybody

• Trade Count: (1)
    • View Profile
Getting ready for MILSIM
« on: January 02, 2017, 02:14:59 PM »
With the up and coming year and new airsoft season, I looking to get into more scenario events and maybe even attend a milsim event. I probably will not be able to attend a national event, more likely Ill go to some smaller events. I'm really wondering what you guys run for milsim/ larger events. More specifaically, GUNS. Gear, im not as worried about because I more confident I can set most of that up on my own.

I just want to get some opinions on what level of performance should be able to get me through a game. With NATO teams most people, im assuming, run m4's. I have a G&P 10.5in that im willing to upgrade as well as an AK platform that can also be upgraded for another faction. What kind of range should i be getting out of a 300mm barrel or should I increase it? It is well tuned and is consistent between 380 and 385 fps. THe range feels poor with a 6.05 on the g&p.

Id like some ideas of what some of you run in terms of primaries and the upgrades within them. What is a decent price point for a primary ready for larger events?
" From the ground to the ground. Blood, shit, tears, and oil all puddle in the depths of hell anyway"-

luke213

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
Re: Getting ready for MILSIM
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 03:41:56 PM »
Well I can't speak to other events other than Irene that I just went to along with local events. But I went into Irene well probably over prepared mostly since it was a long trip and I didn't want to have issues. For myself my focus if/when I do it again would be less on guns, I spent allot of time and energy on my gun, and backup guns etc. To make sure I wouldn't have any issues and I also brought backup guns for the guys who went with me. So I focused allot of time tuning and working on those guns. Then I only shot a couple thousand rounds, which is less than I typically would in a weekend pickup game;) So I didn't need to worry about reliability nearly as much that's not much wear and tear, and to be blunt there weren't allot of guns there shooting that well(in the guys I was with etc).

I was actually fairly surprised that I saw allot of guys with fairly substandard working guns, IE hopup problems etc and not issues necessarily that just cropped up. More this is how my gun shoots type of issues, and often these were guys wearing allot of fairly expensive by my view gear. So I sort of took the opposite approach, I wear pretty inexpensive gear, functional but nothing fancy so long as it works. But I put allot of time into my guns, trying to maximize accuracy and range. I guess my point would be that depending on how much you fiddle with internals most guys I saw at Lion Claws don't spend a ton of time tweaking their guns, mostly show up and play type of deal. I should note I'm sure some guys there did indeed spend allot of time and money making their guns function perfectly etc, but I generally didn't see those guys when I was playing, the majority of the time I was hearing about issues with their guns.

The other suggestion would be make sure what kind of specific gear you need for their game. In the case of Lion Claws I needed a dead light, since we don't play at night that was new to me. And I'm drawing a blank now but there were quite a few other small things I typically don't need/use that I had to get for that game to make sure I was following their rules. That said I also saw a fair number of guys who didn't have that equipment and no one said a thing. So if it were a Lion Claws event I'd be less concerned with being perfectly compliant just get close and likely you're fine. For other hosts etc, best to contact them and see if they have a list of required equipment available.

And so going back so long as the gun is functional and works properly and has at least a mild tune on it, you're likely ahead of most of the guys I saw at Irene. But that's my limited experience and view;)

And I should say honestly my local games seem more competitive as far as guns go, could be because we're smaller group and there is a fair amount of tech knowledge. But here typically you've gotta have fairly decent equipment to keep ahead of what others are running.

Luke
xaos - "298,000 yen for a complete gun. How much is that in real money?"

Stinger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 03:43:12 PM »
As far as performance goes, it largely depends on the role you want to play. An LMG should have a good rate of fire and solid, consistent FPS, as well as the ability to fire long bursts without issue. A DMR should have long range and put out enough energy to use higher weight BBs which will not deflect in the wind. Both of these are niche roles and as such you have to devote your kit to them.
You seem to be gravitating more towards a rifleman role, which should be capable in short and medium ranges. I recommend having just below 350 FPS with a 0.20-gram BB so that you can achieve the shortest MED allowed. Keep your barrel as short as possible. The range a 300mm barrel achieves will vary wildly based on the components behind it.
Whatever you end up using, it should be consistent and reliable over long periods of time in rough conditions.
-Stinger

YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/user/CStingerGhost1
"Think of yourselves as a hand. Each of you is a finger, and without the others you're useless."

Gimpalong

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old school member
  • I make maps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 10:42:30 AM »
Probably the most important thing in attending a MILSIM event is to come prepared and ready to play. Your gear and equipment should be squared away; you shouldn't have to hunt high and low for pieces of gear. You should be ready to toss your stuff on and hit the field. As mentioned above, your rifle needs to, at the very least, be reliable.

I'd also add that there are two components that are a must for any event that has a night component: a night aiming device like a laser and a flash light. You can easily get away with not having an optic of any kind, but it's important to be able to see where your rifle is pointing at night (laser) and identify targets (light).

I personally bring 2 guns to any major event I attend; a primary and a back-up. I leave my back-up in my car. If I won't have an opportunity to go back to my car I carry a high-capacity sidearm (MK23).

My other recommendation for both guns and gear is to keep things as light and as simple as possible. MILSIM events are often high intensity with few (if any) breaks. Having a lightweight set of gear and a lightweight rifle means tiring out less quickly and being able to remain effective on the field for longer periods of time. Keeping things simple means not carrying everything and the kitchen sink onto the field with you. Bring only necessities.

TauterTwiggy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 03:36:55 PM »
Don't forget to stay hydrated! Water is a must for any lengthy event. Otherwise anything you would run for a normal game and a backup with plenty of midcaps for both depending on rules. Personally my gun for milsim is either my flat hopped P* with a prommy 6.03 barrel, purple bucking, and prowin hopup tuned to shoot around 1.5j with a .28g OR my VMG74 flat hopped with a prommy purple bucking,6.03 barrel, Prowin V3, and other internal upgrades. I attended OP:34 last year and had a blast but I definitely felt that I over prepared. I had my P* went down an hour into the game due to the rain and I ran just a pistol the first day as a medic.

m4everybody

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 11:47:58 AM »
Alright thx guys for the inputs. I need to remember that there will be other people playing and Ijudt get used to not relying on teammates lol. So gravitating towards gear... What do you guys run?
" From the ground to the ground. Blood, shit, tears, and oil all puddle in the depths of hell anyway"-