Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What sort of projects are you working on? Or what guns are you getting?  (Read 12407 times)

luke213

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
This isn't necessarily a Christmas themed thread, though the timing is fitting for anyone who's getting airsoft gear or guns for Christmas. This also doesn't require pictures, though guys are more than welcome to post them if they have them on what they are getting.

This thread is just purely a chit chat about what guns your excited about and planning on picking up or talk about projects your working on etc. So informal but just might be of interest to other guys like myself who are always working on some project or another.

So I'll start off.

Since I got back into airsoft I've been pretty much always solid working on something, since my 10+ long guns had been sitting so long most of them needed some sort of attention. That said the TM guns needed allot less attention or none compared to my CA's and a few other brands. So I will say if your going to leave a gun sit for 8+ years, a TM would be a good choice;) Anyways I got most of those guns back in action and I sold a few here and there now I'm working on some new projects.

Right now I'm working on an M16 project, basically I got a box of parts from another guy in this area a bunch of M16 parts, from stocks to barrels and just lots of stuff. After looking it over I decided I had most of the parts to put together a complete gun. Well I bought the bits I needed, and decided it would be a DMR type of platform and started putting it all together. Ran into countless problems, I will say I won't piece together a gun like this again;) PITA, but eventually got it running then blew out the front of the gearbox since I really didn't take any precautions against that. So now I'm in the process of rebuilding that gun with a goal FPS of around 500-550 and range of around 100 yards. I'd like it to pretty much match my VSR10 build but allow semi auto and be fairly reliable. I should be there the next time I'm able to dedicate some time to finishing that build. I've got all the parts just need the time to put it all together and get it tuned.

I've got a Snow Wolf Barrett that I got in trade, missing the gearbox but I've got the parts on hand for that as well, which will end up being my next project and likely will be another high FPS build but I'm going to have to figure out how to reinforce the front of that gearbox as well based on what I've seen with this M16 build. But this should be an interesting project, it wasn't one I would have normally bought. But I got a great deal on it in trade and figured it would be an interesting gun in my collection so that's coming up.

And in other interesting projects, I've got a TM AK47s missing the folding stock and a few other bits. It's functional and stock, runs great but it's ugly and well missing the selector switch so you reach in the side to change fire modes;) I've been planning on putting that into a metal body with full wood and tossing some bushings and an M110 or M120 spring in there for a Terrorist type of loadout gun. It should be a pretty easy project and it should be a good reliable gun at the end of the day.

So that's my project list right now, there are actually a few more but rather than making a huge post I'll throw them out later as I build them or get started on them. Those are the first three on my list right now.

On things that have caught my eye lately. I need an M203, we started using vehicles at the site I play most of often and that's becoming a need rather than a want though that's pretty normal.

I've been watching the release of the new TM GBB M4, hoping it might be a viable option with our colder climate though I still have my doubts would be nice to have a good reliable GBB system though and it's sparked my interest.

I'm still very interested to see how the new TM Shotgun comes out and if it's as interesting as it looks but hopefully we'll see more news. I don't think it's a gotta buy yet, but it's getting there.

So that's my list, interested to see what everyone else has been up to;)

Take care!

Luke
xaos - "298,000 yen for a complete gun. How much is that in real money?"

T6e9a

• Trade Count: (10)
    • View Profile
Re: What sort of projects are you working on? Or what guns are you getting?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 10:24:22 PM »
Current and recent projects consist of:
-G&G M14 EBR, upgrade for a customer. 530-540fps, setup as a nice DMR.
-ARES aomeba in for minor repair
-cyma m14 in for a replacement motor cage
-and  currently a Echo1 scar l just for a simple tune/whatever until i have more plans for it

EDIT:

A pic of the SCAR, which I've finished up since.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 09:15:59 PM by T6e9a »
Offering airsoft repair, upgrades, tuning and customization, check out: Tange Six Airsoft Teching Facebook
Check out what I have for sale: Tango Six MIA sale thread

ctres

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 10:07:04 AM »
This is a great topic, it seems like I am always working on something airsoft related no matter how squared away I think my kit is. Here's what I have going at the moment.

TM Glock 17 w/ Guarder frame and slide/barrel kit - I got this thing used and non-functioning over a year ago and hadn't gotten around to really diagnosing its issues until recently. The guarder frame is much nicer than the TM but the amount of slop in the slide and barrel kit are pretty disappointing. Anyway it looks like the hammer isn't striking far enough into the valve on the magazine to get the gun to cycle fully. Judging by some pictures it looks like aftermarket valve knockers reach out farther to push the valve in more, so I need to order some parts and give it a try.

Comms - right now my working setup is just dual Baofeng UV5Rs with speaker mics but I have 2 pairs of peltor comtacs and another on the way, plus a bunch of PTTs. My u283->kenwood adapters keep breaking which is keeping me from running the comtacs so I need to figure out a more sturdy solution. Maybe I'll post a pic later but I have WAY too much comms gear right now and need to sell off a bunch of it once I get a setup that works reliably.

I also just finally got a couple Thunder B's. I opted for the tripwire shells since the other ones take way too long to go off. The tripwire shells still take several seconds but I'm looking for about 3-4 seconds tops so I'll try some of the popular mods. I'm very happy with these so far and I'll probably pick up at least one more.

My VFC 416 has been going strong for a couple years now after I overhauled it but I still need to get around to doing an R hop. Maybe in the spring. My backup which is a combat machine based MK18 is also running fine but IMO needs a quicker motor. Right now it has a frankentorque and SHS 12:1s and the trigger response is too slow for my liking. I'll probably play around with some extra armatures and see if I can improve this just with some spare parts.

Overall I'm pretty happy with my current setup but there are always things to improve on. My main goal is just to get out and play more often though.

luke213

• Administrator
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 04:26:53 PM »
Thanks sir, I thought it was an interesting topic since like you I'm always seeming to work on something. Back when I used to play I didn't have a shop area like I do now. Actually I'm planning to setup a space just for gun work in my shop this winter to make it a bit easier to work on things. And from time to time I have to do something on a real firearm even if it's stripping the finish on a stock and refinishing and it would be nice to be able to do that away from my leather work area. This morning I was actually sanding down the wood for my airsoft AK and dying and oil finishing and thinking hey this is making a heck of a mess;)

Sounds like interesting projects from both of you, love to see some pictures once they are all done.

I'd say on the 416 r-hop really can make a difference a bit of a pain the first couple times doing them but not too bad after that. Can increase accuracy and overall hopup which is great if you're going to run heavy ammo through them. I'd say for less heavy ammo say .3g and under generally probably not worth the headache. But that said depends on if you've got the time if I did I'd likely have rhop's installed in everything. Once they are working so far they are pretty much maintenance free. In the guns I've got them in I haven't had to fiddle with the hopup pretty much at all since installing them.

On my current list things really haven't changed, still working with the M16, found I had a either a bent axle on a gear, or the gearbox shell is off spec not sure which yet since I haven't had time to tackle it again. I did however run into an awesome deal, a buddy of mine decided to sell off a bunch of stuff he didn't need at a great price. So I ended up with around 12 gearbox shells mix of version 2 and 3, various companies etc. Along with around 10 sets of standard gears, and a bunch of other misc gearbox parts. I also managed to get the shell from a full wood/metal CYMA AK so that will be the base for my TM transplant. The wood was a little rough, and allot too orange colored for my taste so I sanded it down, dyed it with walnut leather dye, and I'm putting a good coat of oil into it now while buffing it on a horsehair wheel. I'll likely put some wax as a top coat, but I want a dark battle worn AK look. So far the dye has really made the grain of the wood pop, it's nice and dark and should look really good once I get it all done. I've gotta order a selector switch and gear for that though before I decide to try and put it back together.

In those parts though I managed to get virtually everything I need for the Barrett project as well, so that's ready as soon as I have time. And I got back that same guy's MP7 that I was working on before part failures. So I sent the nozzle and cylinder head down to a buddy of mine that does casting and 3d printing. We're going to try and make some replacement parts for that AEP along with adding an oring seal to the cylinder head design to give a little FPS boost to the whole system. So that will be an interesting project too that I'll be working on, goal of shooting around 300 FPS and I think with some changes that should work. We've got a replacement set of gears, and I've been meaning to do further research into the motor's but they are a common RC motor apparently according to what I've been reading. So finding a motor that has a bit more snort shouldn't be too tough, and hopefully end result will be a nice primary/backup gun for him. And if that all works out I'll likely tear into my Glock 18c AEP next since it's just begging for a little upgrade. Though I will say I do like being able to shoot up close since it's FPS is so low I don't worry about hurting anyone so we'll see might need another 18c to use for outdoor, and keep the current one for up close.

Take care!

Luke

EDIT: Added a pic of the stock for the AK I'm currently working on, well that's maybe ambitious. I've spent maybe 20 minutes today making it not orange and seeing if I like this darker color better or if I want to go darker yet. So I tossed it sort of in place on my bench and took a pic to keep an idea of the color until I get more time to work with it.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 06:01:07 PM by luke213 »
xaos - "298,000 yen for a complete gun. How much is that in real money?"

Stinger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 10:24:15 PM »
My primary M4 is a constant project of mine.

-Stinger

YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/user/CStingerGhost1
"Think of yourselves as a hand. Each of you is a finger, and without the others you're useless."

T6e9a

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 04:31:07 PM »

My current project, a Dboys MK12 Mod 0 I picked up in a trade. Decent shape over all externally, but I plug in a battery, and it doesn't turn, so inside I go to tune it up like I do with anything else.

EDIT: So much for it being Dboys haha. Had a stock VFC gearbox in it, with a ferrite SRC motor. Swapped a few parts, corrected AoE, and iys back together for right now, shooting around 330-335. Little finicky bit with the selector switch, but that well be another time.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 06:34:11 PM by T6e9a »
Offering airsoft repair, upgrades, tuning and customization, check out: Tange Six Airsoft Teching Facebook

zephurah

• Trade Count: (0)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 01:35:09 AM »
I'm currently SMP'ing (Inferno'ing, w/e) an A&K Masada, not as easy as it sounds to get all of the selector stuff to work as it should. I've already R-Hopped the barrel, fitted the gearbox, gotten an upgraded hopup, etc. Hoping it will turn out well as every single Masada I have owned has given me trouble somehow.

T6e9a

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 02:35:11 AM »
I had a period of time when i was working on 5-6 A&K masadas. Absolute torture, but I came out of it knowing them very well. SMPing sounds like it would be the easiest for the platform in my mind.

Cont.
So more projects have come my.way.
An awesome one that I had been looking forward to for a bit is a Tan M82.

$300 worth of parts is going into this bad boy to help it play the part it was destined to be.
But as of right now, some parts are being a little difficult. Working with an early production Retro Arms GB shell, I was expecting some issues, which currently consist of shimming issues around the cutoff lever.
But I plug away at it. I'll post more about it as I progress.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 11:01:24 PM by T6e9a »