Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Good radio equipment  (Read 11535 times)

biotasticmann

• Trade Count: (0)
    • View Profile
Good radio equipment
« on: April 12, 2016, 12:02:56 AM »
Looking to get some better radio equipment. Right now I own a radio shack 21-1915 and would like to find something better. Prefer Motorola but baofeng and other brands will work. I'm in southwestern Michigan and I'm hoping to buy from a store, not wait weeks for something to ship. Not trying to sound picky but would like to know how to use it before cracking sky. Thanks
E&L AK-110-A PMC
Echo 1 AR57 stop telling me to reload! I don't use m4 mags!
Walthers PPS, WE "CQB Master Alpha"
FLAK

Gimpalong

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old school member
  • I make maps.
    • View Profile
Re: Good radio equipment
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 01:05:01 PM »
Honestly, the Baofengs are hard to beat. They are super cheap, do not require programming software to set up and have very inexpensive accessories. They do have QA/QC issues from time to time. They're certainly not better than, say, an iCOM F-4011 or similar, but they are significantly cheaper and work better than your traditional "bubble pack" Motorola style radio.

One thing you may want to consider before investing in another radio product is how you actually use your radio on the field. Do you have a group of guys that you need to keep in touch with or are you carrying a radio to keep in touch with members of your "in game" team? When I'm carrying my Baofeng I basically use it to monitor whatever the command channel is and then whatever channel my group of friends is on. We totally sidestep whatever the general communications net for the "in game" team because that channel is usually completely overwhelmed with people chattering away, hot-micing or screwing around. If you're only buying a radio to have the possibility of communications with your game faction and not with a specific group of guys, I'd avoid the expense. That said, Baofengs are so cheap there's really no reason not to pick one up.