Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bang kills  (Read 10966 times)

Zaku

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Seig Zeon!
    • View Profile
Bang kills
« on: August 15, 2015, 07:32:14 PM »
I was at an indoor field today and there was the whole bang kill special rule in effect. On paper its a good idea. Don't want to come up from someone from behind and shoot them point blank. But that's on paper. Meanwhile in the field, it was annoying. I would stick the barrel from around  the corner a few inches then someone yells bang. I would be dead. Happened over and over again. Wouldn't even see my body and just call bang on me. I was so annoyed that I honestly just started to say bang every time I went around a corner for two games. The thing that really annoyed me was that you can bang people up to six feet away. Not arms length but just run into a room and yell bang and you kill five people.

In one game, I was next to someone in a window about a two feet long by foot high. The kid next to me was on the left and I was on the right. Someone came up, yelled bang while pointing the gun at the kid on the left. Didn't notice me, I pop up, shot the banger in the face. He gets pissy because even though he didn't notice me till I shot him, he said bang and that meant everyone within six feet is dead. Never pointed the gun at me. Whatever.

Rants over. Now it's your turn to talk about your feelings towards bang kills.

dizzyshot

• View Profile
Re: Bang kills
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 08:54:21 PM »
Bang kills are the "lazy mans" surrender rule and for speedsofters. In my opinion. Really I feel all places should use a surrender rule. My reasons being:
1.) No one in real life turns the corner and says bang. Their gun might, but not themselves.
2.) Surrender rules, like in real life, are optional, and also like in real life, usually means someone has the upped hand.
3.) The rule doesn't even dictate whom you are addressing when it is played. If I turned a corner with three guys around it and said bang once, I'm sure one of the guys would assume that he wasn't banged and shot.

Most videos I have seen that involve the bang rule are CQB games and often have the camera man/women getting angry with a player who did not "take" the hit, or vice versa. Really would you expect them to? Surrender rule the golden rule.

Elvis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 08:57:14 PM »
I personally would email the event host to tell him/her how displeased I was at this rule, in a effort to try to change it.

To answer your question, I despise them. I never will play somewheres that has bang kills in effect. I have been bang killed once, and it was complete bs to say the least. I was on the corner of a building, I had snuck up behind the entire enemy team and was on a really good streak with a huge edge over the team, and then this kid ran around the other corner and started yelling "BANG BANG" before he even saw me, and the best part is that he was at least 20 feet away from me, way out of the arms length bang bang engagement distance. I took my out, but I was not happy.

I think that the best alternative to the bang rule, is the much similar surrender rule. To surrender someone, you simply yell "surrender," and if they choose to surrender, they will comply and take their out. If they choose not too, then they have the option to turn around (assuming you snuck up on them) and shoot you, too which you may respond by shooting them as well. This rule is a lot of fun and I think makes sense as well. As I have never been frustrated when playing with this rule, in fact I have only had a lot fun.

That's my two cents on his topic.

luke213

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 11:52:09 PM »
I don't care for surrender or bang rules myself. If your behind someone sure then it might work but there is often allot going on and my instinct is to shoot first, granted only will I shoot with a gun rated for the engagement. But I tend to dislike bang rules. Technically there is one at the field I play at that most people ignore. Last time I got bang killed he was yelling bang while I shot him in the chest with my glock 18c aep on full auto. We were probably 8-10ft apart at the time but honestly gun was trained on the corner and when he came around I was shooting before I could have really stopped. By the time my head told my hand to stop shooting he'd already been hit. More less we both took an out there but still I prefer to run guns I can shoot up close with if needed rather than bang kill anyone. We don't play that way at my games and honestly I just plain don't like it.

Luke
xaos - "298,000 yen for a complete gun. How much is that in real money?"

zorak

• Horrible old man
  • Administrator
  • Old school member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 01:33:40 AM »
Bang kill rules suck. Anything beyond voluntary surrender and knife kill makes the game worse.
"Zorak's like a Long Island Ice Tea of hate." -Xaos

Gabriel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 02:30:31 PM »
To be honest, I personally only use a bang kill ( or surrender for that matter) if its a one on one or one one two, I have a total drop on them, and I cannot feasibly engage them (within MED with no sidearm, ect).  Aside from that, the only time I wont just pop them once in the back is if they have no PC on.  And before anyone says HURRDURR IT"S AIRSOFT, IT DOESNT HURT THAT BAD, I prefer to not be a dick on the field, and if I don't have to give someone an extra welt, I wont.

zorak

• Horrible old man
  • Administrator
  • Old school member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 09:47:53 AM »
To be honest, I personally only use a bang kill ( or surrender for that matter) if its a one on one or one one two, I have a total drop on them, and I cannot feasibly engage them (within MED with no sidearm, ect).  Aside from that, the only time I wont just pop them once in the back is if they have no PC on.  And before anyone says HURRDURR IT"S AIRSOFT, IT DOESNT HURT THAT BAD, I prefer to not be a dick on the field, and if I don't have to give someone an extra welt, I wont.

Rules may vary by event but I've always been utterly opposed to bang kills as a way to work around an MED. If you're inside your weapon's MED and you don't have a sidearm, then you better back up or close to knife kill range, because otherwise, you are 100% harmless. You can ask for a surrender but if someone refuses, all you can do is duck.
"Zorak's like a Long Island Ice Tea of hate." -Xaos

Gimpalong

• Old school member
  • I make maps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 12:33:26 PM »
Bang kills have never made sense to me. The sole thing they do is create confusion and resulting bad attitudes.

Way back when I played paintball, we had "surrender" rules where if you were very close to an opposing player AND had the drop on them you ask them to surrender by yelling "surrender!" or "take the hit!" They had the option to "surrender," but could also try to spin around and shoot. The vast majority of the time the person being asked to surrender would do so, but, unlike "bang kills" there was no assumption of a guaranteed kill simply by yelling "bang!"

luke213

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 03:31:50 PM »
I've gotta relay an situation that actually happened in our scenario game yesterday since it falls in line with this, and actually I was surrendered more less but it was different than past issues. Smallish game, had 9 guys at start and held 8 later through the day which was a surprise with the 90+ degree heat.

To the point I had low crawled to around 30ft. from the enemy base was pinned down with heavy fire behind cover. I was open to the left and couldn't really do much other than lay there. Well I heard movement in the woods working that direction but it was completely obscured from my vision by a 4x8 sheet of plywood sitting about 10ft. from my position on the left. I was running my M14 and couldn't shoot up close because of the MED, I drew my 1911 and waited expecting the person to eventually peak the corner of the plywood and get my shot. Then hoped to move. Well I waited and nothing but more and more movement couldn't see anything. Come to find out he had moved further back and I didn't see as he crept up with an open shot on my left on me from around 50ft. Now he could have shot me, he had a clean shot I didn't have a view of him and was focused on the plywood I expected contact from. He called out he had a clean head shot and more less asked if I wanted to surrender, I opted to do so. I knew I didn't have a chance to roll over and shoot him with my 1911, I had zero cover from his angle and I'd been laying there prone painfully for around 10 minutes already. My body wasn't going to move fast nor gracefully at that point;) I also knew that his SR25 just chrono'd that morning at 502fps, and shot it, if he had me in the scope I was done. I could have made my try but it really wasn't worth it for me at that point. I wouldn't have given him any crap had he taken the shot, honestly if roles were reversed I'd have taken the shot. Certainly I'd have taken it with my bolt action since follow up shots would have been much slower. But I took that surrender and didn't mind it, didn't feel it was cheap so maybe there can be a place for it. That said there wasn't any surrender rule in this game, just worked out that way. Heck it was my game, I wrote the rules and I'd say I had the option to ignore it, anyone else could have but at the time I felt it was a good move on his part even if it wouldn't have been the way I'd have likely played it.

Luke
xaos - "298,000 yen for a complete gun. How much is that in real money?"