Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Goggles/mask combo options  (Read 17081 times)

Centurion

• Trade Count: (1)
    • View Profile
Goggles/mask combo options
« on: February 15, 2016, 05:17:19 PM »
I just got new contacts in today, and am in the process of breaking them in for spring sports. Now I don't have the issue of finding goggles or prescription lenses that fit my glasses. Do you guys have any favorite goggles and half mask combo? I am 15, so I will need full face protection. Cost isn't a large factor, I would much rather spend my hard earned money on my safety than paying even more in doctor's fees. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

luke213

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
Re: Goggles/mask combo options
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 01:40:32 PM »
Goggles wise I don't have a toss of suggestions, I've got oodles of options myself but I still have some fog issues etc, that come and go. And most of my stuff is old enough that it's not really able to be easily bought anymore;)

On the lower protection I'm really a fan of mesh masks myself, they didn't exist back in the day when I played and I never really did lower protection. But about a year ago I bought one off of Evike, cheap and it works great. Only trouble is your likely going to have to bend it a bit to adjust the fit on your face. If you don't they aren't very comfortable. But once adjusted I've been pretty happy with it overall. I've actually seen other guys running them without adjustment complaining about them. Mentioned adjusting them, did it quick and they were much happier as well. So that would be my recommendation. Much less of an issue with fogging compared to most other options out there.

Take care!

Luke
xaos - "298,000 yen for a complete gun. How much is that in real money?"

Centurion

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 07:00:00 PM »
Thanks for the reply, I will plan to get a mesh lower. Now I just have to decide between a few different brands of goggles. Looking particularly at some ESS low profile goggles.

luke213

• Administrator
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 07:04:47 PM »
Low profile is good for looks and functionally with helmets but it also puts less air volume between your face and the lens, which at least in most cases makes them more prone to fogging. But everyone is different there, I can seemingly fog up anything that exists;) Most guys have better luck with various goggles than I do;)

Luke

Centurion

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 10:09:40 PM »
Just found the company Bitter End, which makes steel mesh goggles and masks. MIA doesn't allow mesh goggles because they aren't ANSI compatible, right? The mesh looks tempting just because they don't cause fog problems.

Praetor

• Trade Count: (3)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 11:16:54 PM »
Just found the company Bitter End, which makes steel mesh goggles and masks. MIA doesn't allow mesh goggles because they aren't ANSI compatible, right? The mesh looks tempting just because they don't cause fog problems.

There is no fogging but when bbs hit the mesh they can splinter and then you have bb shards in your eyes. As temping as it is I beg you to not buy mesh goggles.

luke213

• Administrator
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 11:42:25 PM »
Agreed mesh goggles aren't a good plan maybe with safety glasses behind but then I think your going to have the same issues.

Luke

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Centurion

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 06:13:35 AM »
Thanks for all your replies, I won't bother you any longer. I will now do some more forum cruising and find some good non-mesh goggles and a mask. Thank again.

luke213

• Administrator
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 08:18:09 AM »
No bother just rather not see you make the same mistakes some of us have ;)

Take care
Luke

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Snarf

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 03:37:28 PM »
Example A of why face protection is important: http://www.miairsoft.org/index.php?topic=634.msg3661#msg3661

Puma1

• Trade Count: (0)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2016, 01:26:52 PM »
I've been using ESS goggles since I started airsoft ~ 5 years ago.  They pop up sporadically on ebay and the different Facebook forums. They've never once failed me, and even though I'm a bigger guy (5,11 230) fogging has been minimal.  I would definitely recommend them. There are better options (I've heard Oakley's with Helo kits and goggles with built in fans are the best options) however I don't think you can beat the price of the ESS goggles.
King Arms 'CQB' M4 -- King Arms 20" DMR -- King Arms 16" Rifle.
M81, Digital Marpat and Multicam.

My Buy/Sell ratings from 'old' MIA

Centurion

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2016, 04:00:44 PM »
Puma, what kind of ESS goggles do you have? I have heard great things about that brand. Also, do you use lower face protection?

Puma1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2016, 07:49:16 PM »
I have the ESS revision Profiles ( http://www.esseyepro.com/Profile-NVG_1_detail.html?color=41 ). EDIT: Don't buy them from that website - they're usually cheaper on Ebay and several of the "getting out" sales you'll see around the forums.

I do use lower mesh protection.  I played for the first couple of years or so without them and never ran into any issues.  I watched a buddy get hit in the cheek and bleed a bit but never thought anything of it.

I then bought a lower mesh mask prior to Blacksheep's OP Grayling as a precaution.  I can't tell you how many times I was thankful I had it on.  I probably got hit 5 or 6 times in the face and mouth region during that event.  I can guarantee I probably would have lost a tooth or had some pretty bloody lips. 

Teeth are too darn expensive to get fixed if you crack/chip/ruin them - it's a 10$ mesh piece that could literally save you thousands of dollars in the long run.  They're moldable and really aren't that uncomfortable once you get used to them.  I've never had an issue with looking down a scope or anything of the sort either. 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 07:54:36 PM by Puma1 »
King Arms 'CQB' M4 -- King Arms 20" DMR -- King Arms 16" Rifle.
M81, Digital Marpat and Multicam.

My Buy/Sell ratings from 'old' MIA

MadBrax

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2016, 04:51:17 PM »
If you're looking for a full mask. I would recommend the Dye i4s they are more flashy but never fog because of the thermal lens and air ventilation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk