Arsenal > AEG

Is it worth it to switch to Lipo

(1/2) > >>

paulschoon:
I have a few AEG's that im thinking about putting mosfet's into them. Douse a Lipo make a big enough difference that its worth to switch over.

luke213:
Yes in my opinion there virtually isn't any other type of battery I'd use in an AEG anymore:) And that's from someone who has been involved in the sport/hobby since the early 2000's. I started with NiCAD and later NiMH and then went lipo a few years ago. I'll never go back to using anything but lipo or some new battery chemistry.

Reason is both the ability to push power, but also they just hold so much more capacity wise and seem to be even less work to keep running well. Also within reason you can run most stock guns on a 2S 7.4v lipo without adding a lipo, and I haven't really seen too much of a detriment to trigger contacts and such over a NiCAD or NiMH battery in those cases. I've seen a few that failed, but I saw trigger contacts fail under the older batteries also. Now that said if you go to a 3S or 11.1V lipo then I'd recommend a mosfet, again you can skirt it for a while but that's a shorter run until the contacts fail.

Also a mosfet isn't a bad investment anyways for most guns doesn't need to be fancy(if you search I did a thread on cheap DIY mosfets), but overall I'd seriously go to a lipo and recommend it for guys. But you do need to research and learn the in's and out's of charging safely etc, but it's worth the learning curve.

Luke

paulschoon:
would you say the 7.4v lipo douse the trick or would you suggest going to the 11.1v lipo?

luke213:
That depends, so a 7.4v doesn't require anything just works. I'd wire to deans while you're at it but otherwise it should be about normal maybe slight ROF increase compared to an 8.4v NiCAD/NiMH. But with an 11.1v it completely depends on the gun you can have it just work, or you can get pre-engagement and strip a piston;) Or it might weld the trigger contacts first time out too. It's really an unknown once you start pushing higher voltage, there isn't anything wrong with that, but if you aren't tech savy I'd stick with 7.4v lipo's myself. If you want to fix stuff, start bumping up to 11.1v and fix as you go.

Luke

MaxtheNinja:
Yeah, lipos make a huge difference in performance! Just note that an 11.1 might be too much for your gun to handle. It will likely wear down your parts faster. A mosfet will fix that. I use a 7.4 in my vfc vr16 avalon because with an 11.1 it will doubleshoot on semi. A mosfet would easily fix that though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version