Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Custom built Lanchester smg. in progress.  (Read 7350 times)

kjones734

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Old school member
    • View Profile
Custom built Lanchester smg. in progress.
« on: October 09, 2016, 02:10:06 AM »
Since no one makes a lanchester I decided to make one from the ground up. The closest thing out is the Sten, and a few people have done a conversion to turn it into a lanchester. I was thinking about doing this as well but decided that It would be a lot cooler to make it from scratch and make it a hpa gas blowback with programmable features like the polarstar.

This is what the lanchester looks like:

My goals are to have a relatively close representation of the lanchester. Im not going to be ultra strict on making it look purely authentic but I will get it pretty close. I am also going to make the blowback action as strong as I can possibly get it. I have a ~.5 pound steel slug in the blowback chamber that will be striking the blowback stop at ~100 fps (@120 fps). The total impact impulse on the blowback stop will be ~105 joules, that should be pretty crisp on the shoulder.

My current progress on the receiver is that I have all the major holes drilled and I have the slots laid out for machining. I am hoping to find some time tomorrow to finish the slots and clean up all the burrs.

Here is a picture of the receiver in its current state. (yes I know my floor is a fucking disaster, Im working on that too)

This is a picture of the recoil system/ blowback.

The recoil system and the actual firing of the bb are two different chambers. The air will be supplied by my hpa tank and will enter the system into the aluminum block, the air is all directed backwards towards the steel slug, it will be forced back very rapidly. Once the steel slug moves back 1.75 inches, the aluminum tube will no longer be inside the slug and it will allow the air to escape into the chamber that moves the nozzle forward and fires the bb. The bb firing chamber is not shown in the pictures since i have not finished making it yet. I am hoping to finish that part by this coming Friday.

my next steps are to machine the front receiver block and the hopup unit. Both will be made from steel. once those are completed I will do some testing to make sure everything is working nicely together, then I will start making the wood stock. I have talked to a guy from europe that makes cnc reproduction stocks out of walnut, he quoted me $100 plus shipping. I may go this route since I know it will turn out very nice and I know it will take me considerable time to do all the necessary work by hand.

I also need to design and make the electronics circuit. It will be rather simple and include semi and full auto along with being able to adjust my air flow times.

Let me know what you guys think and if you have any suggestions.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 02:21:17 AM by kjones734 »

luke213

• Administrator
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
Re: Custom built Lanchester smg. in progress.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 10:29:29 AM »
Looks awesome looking forward to the rest of the process!

Luke
xaos - "298,000 yen for a complete gun. How much is that in real money?"

Combat Junkies Airsoft

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Combat Junkies Squad leader and co-founder
    • View Profile
    • Combat Junkies Airsoft
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 12:30:28 PM »
This is such a badass build I can't wait to see it finished. How true to the actual dimensions is the receiver?

kjones734

• Old school member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 12:47:00 PM »
Pretty close. I purchased a template that was produced from a real lanchester. I think the heat  hole pattern is slightly different nothing to  major or very noticeable.

kjones734

• Old school member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 06:14:35 PM »

I have finished machining all the part a for the recoil system and bb feeding. I also have the hopup unit 70% complete. I need to machine a slot for the adjustment arm then it's good to go. I have done some real quick testing on the operation and it seems great, the recoil is strong and the nozzle feeds the BBS. I am waiting on my hose connections in the mail, once I get them I will be able to do a full test. I am now beginning to build my circuit for the timing of the recoil and to control firing the gun.

I have decided to go the easy route and buy a stock from someone, that should arrive in about 2 weeks, then I will be able to start fitting everything together and making sure everything is operating nicely together.