Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Upgrading My FPS  (Read 8923 times)

FearNoEvil

• Trade Count: (0)
    • View Profile
Upgrading My FPS
« on: May 28, 2017, 01:46:15 PM »
Hello everyone, as being a newbie speaks for itself (newbie discussion page) I have a decent amount of knowledge to a variety of things, but I am clueless to internal components. I have a brand new CM16 Predator (Intermediate) which I've played with once, and it operates phenomanal. I only have one concern
 My FPS is at a low of 320, which isnt horrible for the field I plan on. But from experiance, I noticed a handful of times I could have got some kill shots if I had a bit more range.

Id like to upgrade to atleast 380-420. Im at 320 with .20 BBs. I have a ver 2 gear box, and a 25k motor. I believe my stock spring is 100. Is upgrading my FPS as simple as getting a new spring? I watched a DIY video and a Systema (?) 120 spring can get me to where I want to be 380 with .25 BBs. Is it really as simple as swapping my spring and spring guide? Please any advice and tips on upgrades would be much appreciated.

Going to a 2 day operation at TC paintball in traverse. Id like to be at the top of my game. Thank you
-Edward

T6e9a

• Trade Count: (10)
    • View Profile
Re: Upgrading My FPS
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 03:21:52 PM »
Just be aware, range isn't a 1:1 with FPS. Hop up and bb weight are the major contributing factor.

But aside from that, a M120 spring of just about any brand should get you where you want, though an M110 with good compression can as well. All depends on the system.

The spring guide isn't REQUIRED for upgrading, but is a solid piece to upgrade, especially if the current one is plastic. Ball bearing is the way to go, as it reduces certain rotational stresses on the spring. It can also increase the output due to spacing.
Offering airsoft repair, upgrades, tuning and customization, check out: Tange Six Airsoft Teching Facebook
Check out what I have for sale: Tango Six MIA sale thread

FearNoEvil

• Trade Count: (0)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 10:49:43 AM »
Yea I know .BBs have a lot to do with it. You don't mean hop up as in simply adjusting it do you?

I dont know much about the whole compression, I get the concept, but I dont know where I would start to test it. I really just want a simple upgrade. I dont want to play with the guts too much
 Frankly im nervous just to take it apart and put a new spring in lol
 As far as a spring guide, any metal one with bearings wpuld be good? For all I know I may have one, I heard G&G have pretty good internals.

T6e9a

• Trade Count: (10)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 11:07:20 AM »
Properly adjusting the hop up to the bb weight, yes. But different styles/design hop up units and bucking/nub combos can also make a big difference.

It being a G&G, it should already have a metal spring guide, in which case you don't NEED to upgrade or replace it. Really only if it was plastic.
Offering airsoft repair, upgrades, tuning and customization, check out: Tange Six Airsoft Teching Facebook
Check out what I have for sale: Tango Six MIA sale thread

luke213

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 12:25:04 PM »
Yep I'll second pretty much everything above, spring guide if it's plastic is a good thing to upgrade going up in spring. But since mentioned yours is metal you shouldn't need to fiddle there at all. Biggest suggestion when tearing apart the box is take your time and make sure not to mix up where the shims on each gear go(pending G&G's are shimmed normally). Since that can screw up a new guy opening a box. I wouldn't worry about improving the shimming at this point especially being new since it can be a bit more advanced.

I'd also say stick with a max around 400fps because that won't limit you as much field wise compared to going over 400, and the range advantage possible with that 20fps isn't enough to really matter, we're talking maybe another couple yards max. And that's with everything else tuned and working perfectly.

On range and accuracy, barrel quality effects accuracy, but also bucking quality as well as consistency of the air seal through the system and consistency of the application of pressure on the hopup nub/bucking. So to start just make sure to watch some youtube videos where guys show you how to test compression at the piston/cylinder/cylinder head/nozzle area. If you're not running an oring nozzle(not sure on g&g) then it would be a good idea to slap one of those in there as well the SHS version has been good to me and is cheap. Once you're sure your compression is good on the gearbox side put it all back together.

Then you can work on the hopup end. I have used a G&G hopup and found it decent enough as well as their typical green bucking. So you're probably not going to see huge gains on that end at least from what I've seen. So I'd hold on that for now and see how it shoots. If you want to step it up you can go with one of the rotary hopup units, I like the Madbull rotary hopup unit and matching bucking. I've had great luck with those, though getting them setup can be a pain. But one of the others may work fine as well. I do like madbull buckings, though again it's sort of preference there. You can consider flat hopping or rhopping, both can improve the consistency of the application of the hopup. But neither are really "necessary" either especially I'd say at the sub 400 fps ranges. I generally start really tuning that stuff for longer range and higher FPS builds.

So short version yes, if you're careful you should be able to just slap in a spring. Do keep in mind you probably will not see a massive difference in range etc. 320-400 isn't a massive jump. You will be able to run slightly heavier BB's more effectively which will net more improvements than most other mods. Consider dropping in the spring and going to a 0.25 minimum(off shoot, use 0.25g in virtually anything or heavier). You can jump to a 0.28g-0.3g BB's maybe even a touch further though keep in mind the price will jump for the consistency of the heavier round. As you might run into more feeding issues from some mags that are picky, etc.

Everything is a give and take, also consider if this is your only gun that mods like upping FPS even with a spring change will shorten the life of other components like piston, gears etc. How much depends on how well the gun is put together by the factory as well as you. But it's sort of like driving cars, if you've got a hot rod, you don't want to use it to get back and forth to work. You need a daily driver so to speak and a hot rod;) At least if you want to insure your gun isn't going to go down during a game and leave you without the ability to keep playing. Most guys have had a gun go down in a manner that isn't easily fixed on the field at some point and while it sucks, it's worse if it's your only gun;)

Take care!

Luke
xaos - "298,000 yen for a complete gun. How much is that in real money?"