Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AEP Technical discussion  (Read 12322 times)

luke213

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
AEP Technical discussion
« on: September 28, 2015, 02:20:06 PM »
There has been some talk about AEP's and the technical side of how to upgrade and fix certain things. So rather than carry this conversation on Facebook where it will get lost as soon as people stop posting. I think it's better served to put the information here where it can more easily be pulled back up and indexed at a later date.

I'm planning on posting some things here but I've gotta take some pictures the next time I pull everything down in this one for that. I can elaborate on how I did the couple lipo mods I've done with them as well. Not to say what I do is perfect looking it's DIY stuff but it is functional;)

Either way questions as well as discussion of upgrading AEP's this is the place for it.

Luke
xaos - "298,000 yen for a complete gun. How much is that in real money?"

clark

• Trade Count: (0)
    • View Profile
Re: AEP Technical discussion
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 02:53:14 AM »
modded my cm030 too lipo.. not sure how to get the rest of this wire into the body. any suggestions?

luke213

• Administrator
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 12:07:35 PM »
I'm gonna follow my gut on this one ouch;) That's not how I did my lipo looks like you used allot larger one since it's hard to tell form the pics but it looks like you cut the side out of the slide to make it fit.

On the length of the wire, I would shorten it and solder in some new joints, then hide them on the other side of the battery.

Since I'm taking pictures for this I'll edit this post in a few minutes with a link to a howto thread on how I made my AEP lipo conversion.

Luke

EDIT: HOWTO posted here: http://www.miairsoft.org/index.php?topic=718

@clark
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 12:29:30 PM by luke213 »

clark

• Trade Count: (0)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 04:15:02 PM »
I'm gonna follow my gut on this one ouch;) That's not how I did my lipo looks like you used allot larger one since it's hard to tell form the pics but it looks like you cut the side out of the slide to make it fit.

On the length of the wire, I would shorten it and solder in some new joints, then hide them on the other side of the battery.

Since I'm taking pictures for this I'll edit this post in a few minutes with a link to a howto thread on how I made my AEP lipo conversion.

Luke

@clark
It was the smallest battery i could find. Lol. Looking at your link i can most likely but the battery you used but keep my same re wiring technique. I'll try that on my other pistol.

Sent from my LGMS395 using Tapatalk

luke213

• Administrator
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 04:19:42 PM »

Luke

@clark
It was the smallest battery i could find. Lol. Looking at your link i can most likely but the battery you used but keep my same re wiring technique. I'll try that on my other pistol.

Sent from my LGMS395 using Tapatalk

Yeah size on the lipo will be the issue;)

From the look of it, you cut straight into the slide but maybe not the frame? Just a note you might be able to "save" it, but it would take some work;) I haven't tried it on the AEP plastic, but if you look up plastic welding you might be able to take a piece of ABS or something the same composition then scab it into the slide and using a soldering iron to weld then sand down the joint between the two materials then spray it.

Biggest concern I'd have well other than looks, which may or may not be an issue for you. Is holster fit, for myself I only use fitted rigs, which probably has something to do with being a holster maker since I can build to spec anything I need. But it's going to give you more fit issues in a rig with that setup. But yeah you can pick up those lipos they work fine do charge them slower than a large lipo, like around .5amp or so from memory. On the wires if it were me I'd move the connectors to shorten it up, then put the connector close to where the stock connection point was, then shorten it on the other end then you should have less troubles.

Take care!

Luke

T6e9a

• Trade Count: (10)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 06:27:05 PM »
As I am planning on upgrading my Cyma CM.030 soon, I figure I will add to this thread as I do.

I have consulted and followed on Facebook,  probably the UKs #1 AEP builder, Sam Liggat, about some upgrades. He has some upgrade AEP motors he has been testing in some builds. Promax Cobalt brushed 370 RC motors are what Sam is testing. There is a torque version and a speed. The torque is just too slow for our application according to Sam, so go for the speed or lower TPA one. Either way, I will probably just be using the can with a armature originally from the gun. The stock motors have the absolute tiniest brushes and horrible endbell design. The Promax is a lot beefier.

Also for batteries to use that fit, you want the highest discharge rate you can. Sam recommends the 300mah 7.4 45-90c that can be found on Hobby King. I actually found these on a whim, before I knew he recommended them.
Offering airsoft repair, upgrades, tuning and customization, check out: Tange Six Airsoft Teching Facebook
Check out what I have for sale: Tango Six MIA sale thread

luke213

• Administrator
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 07:16:56 PM »
I'd be really interested in what you find out with the motor since that's an upgrade that I've been considering for a while if you have good luck with it, but feel free all sorts of crazy weird AEP only things.

Luke

T6e9a

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 10:40:46 PM »
I went and ordered 2 Promax Cobalt motors so I could get my project under way, and if someone else wanted one/extra to have on hand. I'll keep the thread posted hopefully with pics and a little bit of a write up on differences, performance, modifications needed, etc.
Offering airsoft repair, upgrades, tuning and customization, check out: Tange Six Airsoft Teching Facebook

luke213

• Administrator
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 11:26:18 PM »
I'd be very interested in what you find with those and details since that's something I've long considered interesting with AEP modification;)

Luke

T6e9a

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2016, 08:30:47 PM »

Aaaaaand they have arrived. I unfortunately don't have time to dig into the project right now, but I have everything I need now.

But right off the bat, I can't even turn the armature by hand. The magnets are definitely nice and strong. And just by looking at the endbell, it is a MUCH beefier design. It has actual replaceable brushes, with some pretty meaty copper cables. The paper it came with says it has "adjustable timing" which probably makes sense in RC lingo. And "noise supression capacitors installed" which I will have to see how those perform. No power through it yet, but that will come as I get to the build.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 08:33:15 PM by T6e9a »

luke213

• Administrator
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2016, 10:23:21 PM »
How much did those run you?

Luke

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

T6e9a

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2016, 11:28:04 PM »
About $19.95 each, plus shipping. I think the total was just under $50 for the 2. For $8 shipping, I figure I should make the most of it.

T6e9a

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2016, 10:23:24 PM »
Update on my AEP overhaul:

Not good... The system sounds like a dying cat. Motor is straining to pull the system and sparking like all hell.
I suspect that the motor might still need a little more modification to get the motor height/sizing right. As well, the upgrade Eagle 6 AEP M80 spring is both longer and stiffer than the stock, so I will throw the stock one back in along with the motor modifications and see where that gets me.

As for compression, I was getting anywhere from bbs rolling out the barrel to almost 250 FPS (more than it was in its stock form which was around 170, then <200 with the PDI barrel). It wasn't fully assembled and supported, so that could also be a culprit, but that is the least of my worries as of right now.

I also wired in a SigmaFet into the tiny space. Roughly in there with the wires routed for ease of assembly/disassembly (as it will probably be a life saver by the likes of how its going). Wired up in a dual signal wire setup. And I am praying that the mech cover will fit over and protect the wires enough for the slide to fit.

It will probably be a bit before I get back to this project, so as long as I have some notes to look back on when I get back to it, I should be able to get straight to it.

luke213

• Administrator
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2016, 06:35:23 PM »
It always sucks when you do things right and end up with problems, nature of airsoft I suspect;)

Either way curious to hear how it goes when you tear back into it, I know AEP's from my experience are fickle even more so than full sized AEG's, but I dream of a better fire rate and higher FPS in an electric handgun;)

Luke