Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Outer barrel questions  (Read 4962 times)

SilkMudah

• Trade Count: (0)
    • View Profile
Outer barrel questions
« on: December 02, 2016, 01:00:07 AM »
I wanna shorten my outer barrel some, it's currently full length and I hit it off walls using indoors. I wanna shorten it some and just need some insight on what to do and what to get. My current inner barrel length is 393mm and I want it to be a bit shorter even with a mock suppressor on it without really losing on my fps. Just need some suggestions and ideas on what to get as I'm still somewhat new to all of this.

Thank you in advance

TauterTwiggy

• Trade Count: (1)
    • View Profile
Re: Outer barrel questions
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 10:32:43 AM »
You likely aren't going to notice an FPS loss with a shorter barrel unless it's a drastic decrease >100mm, so you are going to need to buy a shorter outer and inner barrel, a Barrel nut wrench to remove the nut to get in and replace your barrel and that should be it.

luke213

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 01:20:56 PM »
Also I'm going to assume an M4/M16 based system for my reply but do give more details on the platform your using.

So you've got two options you can buy new inner and outer barrel or you can cut down your existing stuff.

If you buy new take a good look at brill armory and clandestine since both have good prices on inner and outer barrels.

If cutting it down of course it requires some tools, but not a ton. The biggest thing is the inner barrel and insuring there isn't a burr on the end after cutting or removing that burr. You can cut most with a hacksaw or cut off wheel etc. Pretty much anything that will cut the material. Then typically I sand the end with a little mandrel I've got for doing it but anything will work so long as it's clean and not burred after finishing. On the outer barrel you've got a little bit of a headache attaching the flash hider again. You'll either need to thread the outer barrel after the cut, or what I've done in the past is press fit a plastic flash hider on there since it's easy and functional.

Either way works, one is of course cheaper and the other more expensive but both options are there for ya.

Luke
xaos - "298,000 yen for a complete gun. How much is that in real money?"

SilkMudah

• Trade Count: (0)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 08:29:41 PM »
Ah yes sorry luke it's a m4 platform. I'm not gonna risk cutting my current parts so I'm just gonna buy new, less of a headache for someone that don't have the tools to do so. I was looking at Brillarmory.com just don't know the length I wanna go for just yet. Do the mock suppressors have inner barrels in them already or does my inner barrel go inside of it?

luke213

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 09:55:46 PM »
Inner barrel will go into the mock suppressor so none included. There are very few cases when an inner barrel is included, from memory the YP MK23 has one in the mock suppressor. But generally no, and I'd say in most cases you wouldn't want it anyhow. Your going to mate the good inner barrel to another piece so to speak, and that mating isn't going to be very good unless the two were made to be together and even then questionable.

Personally my experience and reading says that inner barrel length isn't super important to accuracy. There is something stabilizing about a long inner barrel but it's also not necessary for good accuracy. As an example my VSR10 G-Spec is only a 303 mm inner barrel and that gun will do very well at long range. My M16 has a 550mm inner barrel and it's also quite good, but I wouldn't say it's any better than the VSR10.

So since your looking to make the gun shorter, I'd go ahead and go with a shorter inner barrel and outer. Then see where you are accuracy etc wise. But I've had good luck with pretty short barrels. I will say though you might depending on how short you go have to swap the cylinder as well. Since the hole in the cylinder is or should be correlated to the barrel length. And another warning, the shorter the barrel the more prone to joule creep, so if you run heavier ammo you'll actually put out more energy because the BB is in the barrel longer. Though generally that's more of an issue jumping from say .25g to .43g in sniper rifles and such.

Luke
xaos - "298,000 yen for a complete gun. How much is that in real money?"