Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Looking for a good read?  (Read 22982 times)

Solstice

• Trade Count: (0)
    • View Profile
Looking for a good read?
« on: March 06, 2017, 09:03:10 AM »
This section is dedicated to you book worms out there, and those of you who are looking for your next page turner. Post up some of your favorite books and give a small description about it!

I just finished White Star by James S Thayer. The story follows Owen Gray who was the world's best sniper with 96 confirmed kills. He had retired his rifle and attempts to pursue a career as an attorney and leave his days behind the scope in his past. Unbeknownst to him, a sniper from his past is tracking him down killing anyone within his vicinity in order to convince Grey to pick up his rifle again. Great military read!

And I've just started reading Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo. Great fantasy book for reading! As I haven't finished it yet, I'll just post up the jacket description, along with my 2 cents:
   "Ketterdam: a bustling hub of international trade where anything can be had for the right price–and no one knows that better than criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker. Kaz is offered a chance at a deadly heist that could make him rich beyond his wildest dreams. But he can’t pull it off alone… A convict with a thirst for revenge. A sharpshooter who can’t walk away from a wager. A runaway with a privileged past. A spy known as the Wraith. A Heartrender using her magic to survive the slums. A thief with a gift for unlikely escapes. Six dangerous outcasts. One impossible heist. Kaz’s crew is the only thing that might stand between the world and destruction—if they don’t kill each other first."

So far I'm really enjoying this book (part of a series)! It gives the feeling of the Italian Job with magic. Each character is very well thought out, and the book keeps you guessing about their plan page after page. Just when you think you've started to pick up on it, a twist happens and it keeps you enticed! Great Fantasy read!

What are some of your suggestions?

Zzan

• View Profile
Re: Looking for a good read?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 09:18:40 AM »
The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear (Kingkiller Chronicles) by Patrick Rothfuss (though no one knows when the third book is going to come out.  Seems Patrick is taking notes from George R. R. Martin on how to stay in the spotlight in spite of not releasing the next volume of your series)
The Martian - Andy Weir -- Fast paced, quick read, very entertaining and well written. Much better than the movie
The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan (finished by Brandon Sanderson after Jordan's death) -- Very good series it loses its way a little around books 10 or 11, but this is likely due to Jordan's terminal illness since these were the last books he released before his death, Brandon Sanderson was chosen by him and completed the series using Jordan's outlines and wishes)
A Song of Ice and Fire (the series Game of Thrones is based on) - Very good series, very brutal, much better than the TV show, though George R. R. Martin takes forever to release new books.  It took him over 5 years to release the last one, and it has been several years since that one was released (so long that the show itself caught up and passed the point where the real story was written to)
The books series that SyFy's show the expanse is based on by James S. A. Corey (first book is Leviathan Wakes)

luke213

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 01:32:36 PM »
I can get into this one a bit, I listen to books much more than read these days. I can listen in the shop while working where reading itself takes far more time that I just don't have. I used to be a heavy reader though years ago.

On the gun front one of my favorite authors is Stephen Hunter, he typically gets the guns right. Which is something that can't be said for just about any other author;) If he puts something in his books happening with a firearm there is a fairly good chance he's actually tried it in the real world to see if it works that way etc. Excellent fun reads in my opinion.

Another gun guy who's an author I enjoy is Larry Correia he's got a different style that can be off putting for some, myself included in the start. The only reason I think is that they aren't typically written like most authors there is something different. That said these are more of a science fiction or something like that which is off my normal beaten track in some ways. He does the Monster Hunter series and I'd say they are more based in reality than most, no sparkly vampires etc. More of if vampires existed this is how they would function and why sort of approach. Not without fault like anything but I enjoy his books(and sort of know him via other friends). Also I find his Hard Magic series to be really good, very interesting world he's created and worth a listen.

Michael Crichton hard to go wrong with virtually anything he wrote before his death. The last few posthumous releases were a bit more dodgy. None the less he got me into reading heavily when I was younger, and I've read everything he wrote from fiction to non fiction over the years and I've enjoyed it allot. Particular interest of mine is how close to reality he was predicting things way ahead of time. For instance Congo is old, like 78ish? from memory and the technology he's describing is way ahead of the curve. And most of his books follow this path and that has always impressed me, very smart dude and a good researcher in allot of cases.

There are others but I don't have more time to type so another day;) But I'll also go through the above two posts and take a look at those since I'm always looking for new books and authors. Of the three listed above, of course one died, and the other two write one or so books a year. So not allot of guaranteed good new content;)

Luke
xaos - "298,000 yen for a complete gun. How much is that in real money?"

Gimpalong

• Old school member
  • I make maps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 03:43:21 PM »
Joe Abercrombie - First Law Trilogy (The Blade Itself, Before They are Hanged, Last Argument of Kings). Trust me, if you like GRRM (Song of Ice and Fire), you'll like this.

Tom Clancy - Red Storm Rising. WWIII in Europe during the 1980s. Clancy's greatest work, in my opinion.

China Mieville - Perdido Street Station. Steam-punk/fantasty meets a crazy amalgamation of science and magic in a city inspired by Victorian London.

Hungarian Lion

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2020, 01:59:12 AM »
Evangeline: The Tale of Acadie- this book is short but is written in the epic poem style making it an interesting read besides the fact that it has a very beautiful story to it.