Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GHK AK-74M  (Read 8479 times)

House

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bottom Text
    • View Profile
    • MI Oblast RUSFOR General Interest Group
GHK AK-74M
« on: September 26, 2017, 12:16:50 AM »
This GHK has been a WIP for the previous 9 months. I bought it second hand from a guy I know in Texas, he used it quite often, including at two MSWs. I got the gun and 4 mags for $330, then went back later and got the remaining 6 for $170. Considering these retail at $400 with the mags costing $50 a piece, i considered it a great deal. I like a good project, and this is exactly that. From the day i got it, it was problematic. GHK used a cheap pot metal for the full auto sear so it snapped and made it full auto only. I ordered a new, semi-auto only sear and replaced it, but in doing so I stretched out a spring and made it too weak to cycle. I ordered a new one, but the biggest problem spawned during MSW's Seize Grozny in late January. I was performing maintenance the first night and in the process lost the hop-up nub. Due to going broke purchasing other things, this issue went unaddressed for 7 months, just being fixed in late August. I had attempted making my own nubs, but they weren't solid enough. Through repeated use at MCA indoor, the hammer began to deteriorate and eventually split in two. The bolt carrier was also falling apart, so I finally replaced all of those parts. Now, it shoots 400 exactly with .20s and is back to my main gun. I'll be using it at MSW's Caspian Breakout in late October but for now it is holding strong. The externals include an LCT SKBTR stock, a Zenitco B-10, a bulgarian plum upper handguard, and an SRVV muzzle brake. Pictured it has a PKA-V sight. Overall, GHKs as a whole are extremely tough guns. They have LCT Externals, they fit real AK furniture, while the externals are hit or miss due to the wear put on them, I'm still impressed with how mine held up. It managed to hold together with the hammer broken in two for about a month. I would recommend buying new instead of used just because of how much wear may or may not be on the gun when you get it. I would also recommend replacing certain parts like the sear and hammer with Hephaestus aftermarket parts. GHKs may not be cheap, but they're good guns.

John House
RR313 Probationary Member
Gear Collector

luke213

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
Re: GHK AK-74M
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 11:09:48 AM »
Nice I've been curious since I got back into airsoft how some of these newer GBB systems were working for guys. I know in our colder climate GBB is often frustrating during the colder months, but I've always felt the realism compared to AEG platforms was just such a cool addition;)

Maybe in the future I'll have to pick up a GBB AR platform to play around with and see how I like it;)

Luke
xaos - "298,000 yen for a complete gun. How much is that in real money?"

House

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bottom Text
    • View Profile
    • MI Oblast RUSFOR General Interest Group
Re: GHK AK-74M
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 07:52:58 PM »
It was definitely a huge leap for me. Although I've always used midcaps and my current AEG mags are 60 rounders, the 30-40 round capacity of GBB mags is definitely an interesting twist. I also had to come up with interesting ways to keep my mags warm enough to use at any given time. Especially at MSW, evem though it was in Mississippi it was still January and dipped down into the 30s at night. For me personally once it gets below 45 mags start to lose efficiency. I found it was best to keep them in pockets underneath my outer layer or use handwarmers in the pouches. I'm thoroughly enjoying my GHK as needy as it is. I myself am starting to look at getting a new M4 platform, and I figure I'll stick with GBB. So far, I've heard mixed things about GHK M4s but with certain parts upgraded they can turn into wicked guns. WE M4s are extremely compatible with aftermarket parts, are cheap, but apparently are garbage out of the box. I've heard extremely positive things about the TM MWS, however. So when I eventually take the leap back into AR platforms, I'm probably gonna go with the MWS or a new GHK off of Samoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John House
RR313 Probationary Member
Gear Collector