Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Help for a guy with glasses  (Read 18032 times)

Morley112

• Trade Count: (0)
    • View Profile
Help for a guy with glasses
« on: August 29, 2016, 11:42:28 AM »
Good afternoon,

I wear glasses, and I am blind as a bat without them. I cannot wear contacts. What do you guys do for full seal protection? Any recommend things that go over them? Is there a way to make prescription shooting/sports glasses full seal?

Oh and I did check out the pinned thread, saw these: http://www.esseyepro.com/Profile-TurboFan_53_detail.html

They may be a little pricey, which is why I started this.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 11:44:44 AM by Morley112 »

luke213

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
Re: Help for a guy with glasses
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 06:27:33 PM »
Hey thankfully I can wear contacts, so I've had less issues despite being worthless without some sort of eye correction;)

But years ago I did airsoft with glasses from time to time, my current ones however will not fit under virtually any normal goggle. So do make sure to have glasses that are skinny more than anything, at the hinge area. If they are wide there they will impact the goggle lens more often than not. Apparently with style changes over the last 10 years in glasses that's now the issue I've got.

But back on topic, you can run glasses but your going to need antifog for both the glasses and goggles and even at that you're likely going to have fogging to some degree. My best suggestion is some sort of fan goggle I think that's honestly your best bet. Really I recommend those for pretty much everyone Lancer makes a decent set for around $25 you can find them on ebay under different brands but they are basically the same.

That would be my recommendation, along with glasses size.

Luke
xaos - "298,000 yen for a complete gun. How much is that in real money?"

Zzan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 12:40:52 PM »
Also each of the major manufacturers make an insert that can be prescription filled and inserts into their goggles.

The one that goes with the goggles you have linked above is:
P-2B Rx Insert
or
U-Rx Insert
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 12:48:43 PM by Zzan »

Morley112

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 02:23:13 PM »
Hi Zzan, is that only for the more expensive goggles? Little out of my price range. I haven't googled it yet, will do soon.

Will check out the lancers Luke thanks! $25 dollars is fair to me.

luke213

• Administrator
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2016, 02:25:39 PM »
This is an ebay auction for a set almost exactly like mine. I'd venture a guess though that most fan goggles would probably work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fan-Version-Cooler-Paintball-Airsoft-Glass-SI-Ballistic-Goggles-Ski-Snowboard-BK-/281704138287?hash=item4196e0062f:g:QoYAAOSwZd1VZYbj

Luke

Bishop (Task-Force Nightmare)

• Task Force Nightmare.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 08:47:41 PM »
I'm also in the same boat at the moment, I used to have a good combo down for my glasses/goggles but now I have changed frames. Does anyone know if you can get prescription shooting googles like Oakley M frames with a helo insert While retaining the ANSI rating?
Task Force Nightmare. Original MiA
Old commerce rating. http://miairsoft.proboards.com/thread/47769/bishop-nightmareas

Cats

• The Science Guy!
    • View Profile
    • Doom C3Airsoft Listing
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 08:09:39 PM »
Late to the party here but i'm in same situation as OP. Just have to find the best option for you and accept you'll have more problems with fog than your average player. Prescription safety goggles are best airsoft decision I ever made.

Bishop: Their website lists all the official optometrists/glasses people in the state that sell their products. If you go to one of those locations to get your glasses they should be able to accommodate you. Oakleys can be expensive though, and many glasses places sell full-seal ANSI rated glasses/goggles for use in construction,oilfield,etc.
[EDIT] I was thinking of Wileys not Oakleys, my bad. http://www.wileyx.com/About/locator/dealer-locator

(edit) apparently MIA chewed up my post and spit out a ton of random html for no reason, so i fixed it.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 12:37:58 PM by Cats »

luke213

• Administrator
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 08:20:22 PM »
I actually built something a month or two ago that may help. I'll need to take pictures to show the whole of the build but I'm super tired today and not going to run down my camera etc today.

None the less I took my old school helmet. Ran a piece of small clear tubing around 1/4in. diameter through the top of the helmet and out the front right above the goggles in the center. I left around a half inch hanging down past the helmet edge. Then I ran that out a hole in the rear. Built a little circuit with a switch a double 18650 battery box, and a small squirrel cage fan from a computer around 60mm wide from memory. Then I adapted that to the tubing so it blows air through the tube and out the front when it's on. The batteries and fan ride on the back of the helmet out of the way, and you can run any goggle you want so long as there is a vent in the top to push the hose through when you put on the helmet.

I've run it for a couple games so far, and I need to harden the system it's pretty much proof of concept level now. But it works great, you can run any goggle with it and it's pretty sweet. My only complaint is it requires me wearing a helmet which is fine as long as I'm not sniping. I always run a helmet unless I've got the bolt gun, in those cases I typically run a boonie hat with ghillie mesh and veg etc. So I need to build another version that somehow works with that. But that's another day's project.

If guys are interested it's cheap and fairly simple to build, just solder some wires and buy some parts and you've got a functional helmet fan system for around $5 or so in parts plus of course batteries if you're going to run 18650's like I do.
 I'd be happy to write up a thread later when I've got some time if there is interest.

Oh and I forgot one of my complaints on fan goggles was that the battery life sucked, like a couple hours. I suspect this setup will run several days though I haven't been able to test that yet. I have however run it for 8+ hours without any issues in game. So I'd say it's a win, even if I did have to change the batteries after a full day I'm ok with that;)

Luke

Cats

• The Science Guy!
    • View Profile
    • Doom C3Airsoft Listing
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 12:42:32 PM »
I'd definitely be interested in seeing that mod. I've seen a few mods elsewhere where people wire-up 20mm fans directly to their goggles, one of my mates tried the same thing but his didn't turn out to be very effective.

luke213

• Administrator
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 12:46:31 PM »
Well my idea spawned from the fact that I finally bought fan goggles and they were ok but they had some serious problems for my play style and headgear. They didn't work well with my helmet at all, the battery life was pretty terrible, couldn't tell if they were on or off etc.

I'll put some pictures together it's a really simple design, nothing fancy but it seems to work very well. And my current setup is a single tube, but you could easily rig up dual tubes if you wanted more air flow into the goggles and maybe route one on each side. But thus far I haven't found that necessary so I've left it with one. My only complaint which is minor is routing the hose into the goggles when you put them on takes a little fiddling, but it's really not bad. I also added a clasp so I can undo my mesh mask from the helmet and let it hang so I can grab some nicotine or water without taking the whole dang thing off my head which was another issue I was fighting with;)

Luke

luke213

• Administrator
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2017, 06:34:00 PM »
Just a note I did finally write up something on the fan setup that I'm using for you guys who are interested.

http://www.miairsoft.org/index.php?topic=1282

Luke

Morley112

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2017, 09:30:06 AM »
Cool!

Centurion

• Trade Count: (1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2017, 09:57:14 PM »
Along the lines of nodded goggles, have anyone ever modded a paintball mask to be able to aim with sights? I have a mask that I've thought about cutting off the lower face protection, as it would be cheap and my siblings could use their glasses with it 

luke213

• Administrator
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2017, 10:10:09 PM »
It's been done allot over the years. Usually replacing the hard plastic cut out with rubber or something else. Also sometimes you can heat the mask portion and form it closer to the face to make it work as well.

Personally I always hated paintball masks so I only ever separated the goggles from them back in the day to use just as goggles.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk