Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Motor Issue  (Read 8128 times)

Mistafishman

• Trade Count: (0)
    • View Profile
Motor Issue
« on: December 18, 2015, 07:59:48 PM »
I have a stock G&G GR16 (EBB M4), it's been running solid ever since I've had it. (Battery: 9.6v 1600mah) One eveing I was shooting it off my back porch into the would to re-adjust my hop up. I noticed the motor grip was warm so I decided to give it  a rest. Temperature Outside: 55 +/-; shooting for about 10 minutes, not consecutively. The next day I want to my friend's house to do some 1v1 in the woods when I noticed my motor was warm again and I could faintly smell a burning smell. I immediately put it on safety and took out the battery and mag. Later on I ran the motor out of the grip and it seemed fine. I'm not sure if this problem will go away over time or I need a new motor. It's fine if I need a new motor, I just want to know whether I can keep using my current motor without damaging other parts. Also, would I need to re-shim my gearbox eith the new motor? I plan on getting the Lonex A1 Titan.

luke213

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
Re: Motor Issue
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 08:23:39 PM »
I would say it could be the motor, I'd probably start with just pulling the motor checking connections to make sure they aren't failing and blow the thing out with compressed air. Also have you done anything else with the mechbox or wiring? And are you running a mosfet? If your wiring is compromised somewhere in the system it can cause increased heat because the motor isn't drawing the right amount of current and will heat up. Generally speaking if some of the wiring is heating up because of an issue there it can also cause the motor to heat up.

Generally though from what I've seen so long as the wiring isn't failing, you really shouldn't have a problem bar the motor itself failing as far as the rest of the system. IE I would verify the wiring is all good and if it's stock it probably is, make sure your pinon gear on the motor isn't cutting through the wire where it passes at the bottom of the gearbox if all of that checks out I'd run it and replace the motor when it fails.

Luke
xaos - "298,000 yen for a complete gun. How much is that in real money?"

Mistafishman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 10:09:56 AM »
Thank you for your ideas. I tried blowing out the motor- didn't see any thing come out. I haven't tried firing it yet because it's early enough in the morning I don't want to disturb family, but will get to it. My other comments are that the wires look fine with the exception of the heat shrink on the motor connections being a little chewed up. The wires in the gear box don't come close to touching the pinion gear and the fuse looks just fine.

If I were to get a new motor, would I need to re-shim? Or should it sit similarly enough it wouldn't make a difference?
Thanks for the help.

luke213

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 10:50:44 AM »
Shouldn't have to reshim motor height may need to be adjusted. If the pinion gear is very different it's possible but I don't think I've ever had to.

Everything else sounds normal so I'd guess the motor is heading out.

Take care!

Luke

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

xaos - "298,000 yen for a complete gun. How much is that in real money?"

Stinger

• Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 11:11:00 PM »
If you want absolutely perfect shimming, re-shimming should be done.
However, having a motor heat up and even smell is somewhat normal, especially of standard 16-TPA motors. You're most likely smelling the brush material or the arcing from the brush-commutator contact.
If these symptoms weren't present before, it could mean that the setup is under additional stress, you have a connection issue (causing a higher amperage draw or a short), and/or the motor is wearing/burning out.
-Stinger

YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/user/CStingerGhost1
"Think of yourselves as a hand. Each of you is a finger, and without the others you're useless."