Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: XCORTECH X3200 MK3 Review  (Read 17924 times)

luke213

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
XCORTECH X3200 MK3 Review
« on: September 23, 2016, 06:26:09 PM »

So a few months ago I bought an XCORTECH X3200 MK3 chronograph. I’ve in the past used the 2nd generation and while it was pretty accurate I did have a few complaints. I’ll cover some of that below afterwards.

Setup:
None the less lets start with the simple stuff, this will run off a micro USB cord, or you run with AA batteries. I’ve never really used the power cord setup(not included at least for me), I have been running it happily on AA batteries. I’ve used it a fair amount and I’ve been running fairly cheap rechargeable AA cells which aren’t super quality. As a result they likely don’t have a high mah rating and are lasting less than a set of primary cells would(AKA Duracell or the like alkaline cells). That said I’ve only changed them once so far in several months so really I can’t complain it seems find on battery consumption.

Use:
The menu’s are slightly harder to figure out compared to the previous version it’s just slightly different. I can’t give exact specifics since it’s been a while since I used the previous version. But the menu is slightly different. And for instance for a month I didn’t think you could change the weight of the ammo in the chrono to a custom weight to get joule calculations. Only later did I realize I actually could click the power button on a weight and change it. Where from memory the old version you have a specific menu where you set the weights. So different, not bad but different if you’re used to the older version.

Function:
So function it’s excellent, I very seldom get a shot that doesn’t register. Usually it’s when it impacts the wall of the chrono. I mentioned at the start I had complaints about the previous version that was one of them. The old version was plenty accurate from what I saw and this one reads within 1fps with the same gun which is virtually identical since the gun I tested is +-1fps. With the old one I’ve had several guns where I had to fire say 5 rounds and only 2-3 would register. Or worse my bolt action I’d shoot maybe 10 rounds to get one to register. So the consistency of registering shots I’d say is greatly improved. From what I’ve read this one has more sensors than the MK2 causing its higher detection rate.

Source/Price:
I bought mine on BrillArmory for $75+shipping. Those not familiar with Brill shipping is quite cheap and I had other things on the order. So I don’t know exactly the shipping but it was a buck or two. I got it quick and had zero issues. Also I did consider the old version when I got this one, but it was only $5 or so cheaper and I decided to go with this model and in retrospect I’m quite glad I did. I will say this one feels slightly cheaper than the old version but it’s a toss up, close enough I can’t say it’s really a con.

Conclusion:
For the dollar amount it’s excellent. For the accuracy I’d say the same thing. If you’ve been considering a chrono I can’t recommend this one highly enough. I’ve spent allot of money over the years on parts and guns in airsoft. One of the things I always lacked was a way to check my work so to speak on guns. So I’d borrow a chrono or guess what a gun was shooting until I got to a game to check it. Now I can change something with a gun and test. Get a result and determine if it makes sense. I’ve had a ton of things this has identified as a problem since I started using it. Guns that I thought were shooting fair but hadn’t chrono’d. Only to find out that they were shooting very low FPS because of a compression leak I had to track down etc. So great chrono and a great addition to anyone’s gear who works on guns at all.

If anyone has any questions or things I forgot to mention feel free to post and I'd be happy to help.

Luke
xaos - "298,000 yen for a complete gun. How much is that in real money?"

VooDoo

• Trade Count: (8)
    • View Profile
Re: XCORTECH X3200 MK3 Review
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 10:07:43 AM »
Excellent review! I've been on the fence between several different chronos for some time. I think you just helped me decide!

luke213

• Administrator
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 10:21:56 AM »
Thanks sir glad to helped. I was thinking about this a while back because when I was looking I couldn't find many reviews on this new version. Few videos etc but not much to compare it and the older version.

Either way glad it helped and I'd say you'll be happy with this one. Really a nice chrono for the price. And I'll say I trust the output enough that I bring it with to local games if there is a weird reading on the old one so we can double check.

Take care

Luke

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

ctres

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 02:27:12 PM »
I have the plder version and it has served me well. Does this one still have the issue with readings changing depending on lighting conditions?

luke213

• Administrator
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 02:28:08 PM »
Hmm I haven't seen that issue with it, but to be completely honest I didn't notice it on the other one either. Give me more info and I'll see if I can't test it for ya and see since it's sitting right next to me;)

Luke

ctres

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 03:46:19 PM »
Well I think a number of people have found that the xcoretech gives less accurate (usually lower) readings when it is used in dim ambient lighting. I've observed with mine that when used in my basement at night with sub optimal lighting that readings can be deceptively low compared to what the same gun and chrono read in bright daylight.

luke213

• Administrator
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 09:45:29 PM »
So I did some testing tonight since my buddy was coming over with his easy to change springs QC G36 so I could test out my unlabeled spring collection and figure out what I had;)

But what I did because we wanted a test result for consistency was took my M4 which is normally super consistent IE +-1fps generally. So I tested indoors under florescent lights, in the shop it's pretty bright. Shot consistently around 408fps, and then we went outside in pitch black and it shot the same. I also for the sake of curiosity used my 200 lumen light shined into the chrono and had the same results.

So unless there is something else going on or something with the way the light strikes the sensor I'd say they solved it with this version. Now I'm curious though since I hadn't heard that before, I'm going to try fiddling with the field chrono at STFU which is the old version and see if I can make it vary results.

So more coming the next time I see that particular chrono, but this one seems to not have an issue with light levels effecting the results;)

Luke

T6e9a

• Trade Count: (10)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 01:28:35 AM »
Having an older XChortech, I may have to do some testing with the lighting. Might even have to install some sort of internal lighting if it makes a big difference, as from my readings and what people have chronoed at games, my chrono seems to read higher than the field chrono. Which isn't necessarily too bad of a thing, essentially ensuring the replica to be well within limits. But if lighting does make a noticeable difference, I will address it as soon as I can. I figure some small light strips or LEDs would be cheaper than a whole new chronograph.
Offering airsoft repair, upgrades, tuning and customization, check out: Tange Six Airsoft Teching Facebook
Check out what I have for sale: Tango Six MIA sale thread

luke213

• Administrator
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 06:03:16 PM »
I'd be curious to hear the results on that, since until last night I didn't know it even potentially was an issue;)

I'm pretty skeptical of chrono's in general. It's a pretty fine tuned reading for such a short time duration and distance. Let's say this I wouldn't be surprised if just about every chrono made was 50fps off in the same direction. Just because of the way it's measuring. I'm guessing it would be possible with a high speed camera and a gradient to get an accurate benchmark. Because the results are consistent I just doubt they are all that accurate. But I could very well be wrong.

Luke

T6e9a

• Trade Count: (10)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2016, 11:38:22 PM »
With using a flashlight aimed along side the muzzle down the chrono, the readings didn't seem to change or differ in any way from normal. My normal though seems to be if the angle of the barrel shooting through shifts or changes, it might vary the results slightly, but that has always been the case for mine. So whenever I chrono, I just try to keep the gun in the same position/angle each shot for the best reading of consistency.

And yeah, I could get behind the "ball park reading" idea, makes a decent amount of sense in my mind.
Reminds me of the chrono RedWolf Airsoft used to use in their videos way back when Arclight used to do the videos.

I would believe that things readings, as it is meant to give accurate readings for real steel/IPSC.
Offering airsoft repair, upgrades, tuning and customization, check out: Tange Six Airsoft Teching Facebook
Check out what I have for sale: Tango Six MIA sale thread

luke213

• Administrator
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2016, 11:43:45 PM »
That's the style I used to use. I had borrowed it from a buddy of mine but when I stopped playing years ago I gave it back. And since I had it for several years before I didn't want to borrow it again;)

That said I'm not sure those are any better and the reason is with real firearms a couple or even 20-50fps isn't really much of a big deal. Often loads vary that much or more. So I'm not sure they are any more accurate. I think the only way I can see that would be pretty easy would be high speed photography especially with some of that equipment coming down in price. At least then you could see if a chrono was accurate and work from there;)

Luke

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk