Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Woodticks and tricks  (Read 8229 times)

luke213

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
Woodticks and tricks
« on: May 07, 2015, 11:47:38 AM »
Well guys I saw a question on facebook about woodticks and airsoft and I realized that some guys didn't grow up in the woods dealing with them daily so I figured I'd type up some of my own experiences and tips for others.

Basically use some deet, it will help get less ticks. Make sure to go around your boots and ankles, most of the ticks I get are crawling up my legs. Use leg hair to your advantage to be able to feel them crawling and take them off. I pull maybe 10 a day off that are crawling and only get bit a couple times a year(I live way out in the woods). I don't use any special tools to pull them just my fingers, make sure they take a bit of hide with them when they come loose and look closely at the tick to insure the head is still intact. I've never had a problem with the heads coming loose over the years. If it's a small tick it's not a bad idea to keep it. Scotch or packing tape is an easy way to store/kill them. Just stick them to the tape and fold it over. Nice thing about this is you can keep them if you ever have a problem and need someone to identify the tick, they are visible through the clear tape and can't get away. I've never figured out how long it takes them to die in the tape but they stay indefinitely. Once your done in the woods for the day take your clothes completely off and with a mirror check closely for ticks everywhere before going to bed. Check between toes, behind ears in the hair and other nooks and crannies to insure none are climbing or have bit you. There may be ticks on your clothes you can toss them right in the washer, then dryer and the heat/water will kill them off. You can also leave the clothes outside, generally I haven't had a problem here for the most part but clothes will bring in some ticks. Dogs, will carry in ticks on them by biting and just crawling on them, it's their height typically. Frontline works well, doesn't stop the ticks from biting, but it kills them and they fall off after the bite which is fine.

That's the short version, and some of it might be contrary to some of the new ideas on them, however it's worked for me my whole life without much issue. So any questions guys have or suggestions feel free.

Take care!

Luke
xaos - "298,000 yen for a complete gun. How much is that in real money?"

Gunslinger

• Trade Count: (3)
    • View Profile
Re: Woodticks and tricks
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 04:25:35 PM »
Are they maybe a more prevalent problem now a days? I have played all over and haven't ever had a problem as of yet any way.

luke213

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 04:42:57 PM »
Well I'm not sure downstate how they are usually up here in spring they are bad, then they taper off some as summer comes through. But typically if it's spring or summer you might get one or more up here. Usually when I'm out playing airsoft during the summer months I get quite a few. I just figured guys who haven't been dealing with them for years might appreciate some guidance;)
xaos - "298,000 yen for a complete gun. How much is that in real money?"

Raptor

• Trade Count: (1)
  • I heavily enjoy memes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 01:17:07 AM »
Lets see how many I get from running threw and laying and most likely falling in the tall weeds at HITW the 23rd. If i had to imagine quite a few will be the answer.
I've been here for a little while I think.