Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What do you do for a living?  (Read 25280 times)

luke213

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
What do you do for a living?
« on: September 20, 2017, 08:19:44 PM »
So I'm curious what the occupations are here, I know some younger guys are likely in school or college but just for fun I'm curious to hear what guys who work do for a living.

Myself I'm a full time holster maker, started building rigs out in 2009 for myself. Then shortly afterwards had a bunch of guys that liked my work, and it turned in the business that supports myself and my wife and kids. I'll never get rich doing it, but I really do enjoy making holsters. Working with leather I start with basically the raw materials and at the end of the day I have a finished product. For me it sort of reminds me of when I did construction. I always liked framing since you saw progress in your work and built something. So to some degree that's what I do now, just in allot weirder and fancier way;)

For guys curious to see more pictures etc of what I do just go to my site and click through some of the rigs there are pictures of just about everything from exotic leather like shark, elephant etc down to plain jane holsters too. www.adamsholsters.com

And I'm not advertising, of course if guys want a holster I'll happily build it. But it's sort of hard to explain my job without pictures, and I don't want to stack a ton of them in this thread. So if it sparks your interest to see more feel free if not feel free not to click on it either;)

So what do you do that keeps you in new gear and guns?

Luke
xaos - "298,000 yen for a complete gun. How much is that in real money?"

Frag3K

• Trade Count: (0)
    • View Profile
Re: What do you do for a living?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 09:26:01 PM »
  I work in the materials department of an automotive supplier that specializes in door handles (thrilling I know). My official title is finished goods gatekeeper. I take all the product out of the production cells, produce it which is really just scanning a barcode label, at which point our inventory system takes the required quantity of components out of their respective inventories and adds a corresponding quantity to the inventory of the model of finished product. After that I prep the pallets of product and load them onto a shuttle truck that takes them to our shipping dept. 
  In addition to that, I also distribute and track inventories on the components we paint ourselves. I also receive all the hazmat that comes into the plant. Which we usually use about 20 fifty gallon drums of paint and 25 drums of cleaning solvent and paint thinners per week.
  TLDR; I scan barcodes and drive a forklift all day.
VFC HK 416 LE
G&G CM16 Raider L
Marushin 5-7
KWA USP

luke213

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 09:31:49 PM »
Realistically I sit and stitch leather all day, so most guys wouldn't find what I do exciting either;) But what some guys don't realize is the world runs on that sort of stuff. Gotta have good tracking and inventory to run a business and someone's gotta do it;)

Luke
xaos - "298,000 yen for a complete gun. How much is that in real money?"

T6e9a

• Trade Count: (10)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 09:48:19 PM »
As many of the active community know, my current living is made from airsoft repairs, but more so as of late, running Commandos a couple days a week. Plans to get back full swing on community projects are in the works. Pretty much ever since I got into the sport, I made it work for me.

Was never very interested in college, even though I excelled at school and everyone tells me I should go for mechanical engineering. While still in high school, I started offering phone/ipod screen repairs along with airsoft work on a smaller scale. And as time goes on, I only continue to perfect my skills, and learn more about new and different systems.

I know I'm still young (22 as of this post), so there is still plenty of time for things to change. I hope to be able to stay active in the community and help how I can(a big reason I do tech work, I get to offer something to the community).

And more for a record for those that might be looking, my Facebook page for updates on my status, projects, games I might attend, and more.
https://www.facebook.com/TangoSixAirsoftTeching/
Offering airsoft repair, upgrades, tuning and customization, check out: Tange Six Airsoft Teching Facebook
Check out what I have for sale: Tango Six MIA sale thread

Dime

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 10:11:24 PM »
 I worked as a HVAC installer for sixteen years and just about two years ago I started with Washtenaw county in the facilities department doing maintenance. It's been interesting seeing the inner workings of the courthouses and jail!

Zzan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 09:38:50 AM »
I'm an office worker.  Most of my life I have been in the Restaurant industry.  Pizza Hut, Applebee's, YUM!, Domino's, Bloomin' Brands. At Pizza Hut I started as an hourly employee and worked up to store manager and later a "fixer-upper" basically the area coach sent me to stores that were having issues to get them back on track.  Left that to work for Corning, Inc.  Which is the only job I have had where I actually used my college education (Engineering Physics).  Worked at Applebee's for a short time after I got laid off from Corning.  Then got an offer from YUM! and worked there installing and supporting back office systems for Pizza Hut, KFC, Taco Bell, Long John Silvers and A&W.  Left there to go to Domino's home office in Ann Arbor where I did basically the same thing, but only had one brand to deal with which was a much better quality of life.  Now I work at Bloomin' Brands in Tampa, FL started out in a similar role here but now I am a manager of Technology Innovation for Off-Premise Dining.  Fancy way of saying I am in charge of all the technology that we put into our stores in terms of to-go, and delivery, taking care of customers that aren't eating inside the restaurants themselves.  Downside is that I am back to dealing with multiple brands (Outback, Carrabba's, Bonefish Grille, Flemings Prime Steakhouse) that can't ever find a middle ground and work with each other pleasantly.

TauterTwiggy

• Trade Count: (1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 09:51:25 AM »
I work as a full stack software developer (official title: UI Engineer/Senior Agency Colleague) at an agency in Ann Arbor. I have been there about 2 years now and before that helped start a Software company called Locqus (now Service.com) for 3. I primarily spend my days dealing with clients crazy asks and talking them off bridges. It is varied work and I do enjoy turning complex ideas into their much simpler parts. Before that I worked as a security guard for Guardian, RSIG, and worked stock at a liquor store for a bit.

Guts and Glory

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 04:58:18 PM »
I'm a ground handler for a private company on loan to American Airlines at the Lansing airport.  Still not full time but I end up working weekends so no chance to get to any fields still around.
"In our hearts we - have done good and bad... we have exchanged fire, at both military and civilian during conflict.  We have been around the world since our time in the red sand of Afghanistan.  We have been waiting for war.  Waiting, waiting.  War is all we love"

Kapitan Balalaika

Pagan

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Old school member
  • Most people don't like me. I'm cool with that.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 06:06:27 PM »
I work in IT for a large Insurance Company. I've been there for a little over two years. My official title is Senior Service Desk Analyst ( I recently received a promotion )

Most of my time is spent in support of just under 800 users over 12 locations, but I am also in charge of Client Device for the Service Desk. I image and maintain laptops, desktops, and mobile devices.

Pretty much I tell people to turn it off and back on again all day. :-)

darcness

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 08:21:16 PM »
I work at FedEx Ground as a technician.  It's basically like skilled trades but we aren't unionized so we don't specialize.  We have a team of 6 guys who keep the terminal running 24/7 and do everything from building maintenance to repairing the automated scan tunnels.  When some one asks me what I do I say "all of the above" and it's the truth.  I've been with the company now for 15 years.  Started as a package handler, then admin, then service manager, and then into being a tech.  Promoted 3 times now as a tech so next step is management, but I'm not ready for that yet.  I like my 8 and skate too much!

QueenBee

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2017, 03:30:21 PM »
Pastry Chef 🎂

Gimpalong

• Old school member
  • I make maps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2017, 12:51:15 PM »
I'm the property appraiser for a county government. I conduct sale, land value and appraisal studies to support township property assessors and make sure they are not over or under-assessing property values.

I used to make maps and do map analysis as a full time GIS analyst for the same county.

Canto

• Global Moderator
  • Old school member
  • (- -) Herro
    • View Profile
    • Hole in the Wall Paintball
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2017, 01:09:24 PM »
I'm one of the managers for Hole in the Wall Paintball. I'm primarily the airsoft manager, but I also work the paintball side of the business.

I started working at the old retail store we had in Kalamazoo before rent spiked, running the airsoft counter. When we shifted all operations to our Bangor, Michigan field I proposed hosting airsoft events and started helping out running groups of paintball players.

I also flip antiques on ebay (functioning electronics, old board games, military surplus, etc).

Phantom G3

• I’m oldschool. Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2018, 02:45:40 PM »
I work for Loomis Armored, a bank truck company. It speaks for itself ;) haha
Phantom G3 www.miairsoft.proboards.com (old site)

Guts and Glory

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2018, 02:17:16 PM »
Been awhile since I've last talked on here.  Ended up landing a full time job at LorAnn Oils up in Lansing.  Have the weekends off now, but since most games seem to be held on Sundays and I gotta be up and functional Monday mornings, I seem to be in my same predicament as before.   :(
"In our hearts we - have done good and bad... we have exchanged fire, at both military and civilian during conflict.  We have been around the world since our time in the red sand of Afghanistan.  We have been waiting for war.  Waiting, waiting.  War is all we love"

Kapitan Balalaika