Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rations - Do I Have to Eat That?  (Read 10572 times)

Morley112

• Trade Count: (0)
    • View Profile
Rations - Do I Have to Eat That?
« on: September 05, 2016, 11:07:17 AM »
Good morning Michigan,

My question here is how "in-character" for a lack of a better term you guys like to be. Some of us on the reenacting side for non-air-soft love to eat period food when we are in uniform, and I was wondering if any of you guys did this when in milsim events.

Though in all honesty Roman rations from AD100 test better than a MRE.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I would really enjoy eating MRE's and plan to stock up for any milsim event.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 11:34:07 AM by Morley112 »

Stinger

• Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
    • View Profile
Re: Rations - Do I Have to Eat That?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 12:38:59 PM »
My question here is how "in-character" for a lack of a better term you guys like to be. Some of us on the reenacting side for non-air-soft love to eat period food when we are in uniform, and I was wondering if any of you guys did this when in milsim events.
I take out freeze-dried food packs (typically the Mountain House Pro-Paks) and use a Jetboil to boil water that is used to reconstitute the freeze-dried food. It's way better than an MRE. Whether or not that's considered any kind of "period food" I don't know. I've seen some pictures of Marines with Jetboils, but I don't know how widespread that is.
-Stinger

YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/user/CStingerGhost1
"Think of yourselves as a hand. Each of you is a finger, and without the others you're useless."

luke213

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 01:02:49 PM »
I can't speak from allot of experience with some of the new hard core types of milsim but in the past there were events where MRE's were the food provided. That said be aware if you haven't eaten a fair share of MRE's that they are a bit like eating a block of cheese when it comes to passing that food down the line so to speak. So eating them solid for a weekend might be somewhat uncomfortable from what I've seen and heard.

I can't say that I've eaten more than a couple in a row over the years, though way back when we used to bring them camping often enough to have seen some of that effect on myself.

I believe most milsim's and the sort pretty much let you run free food wise and do as you please. I know games like Lion Claws you can eat whatever and there isn't any strict diet based on what your dealing with. I'm not sure on MSW, AMS and any other more hardcore milsim events but I haven't read or heard anything about it since the old days I mentioned in the first paragraph. So unknown, but there are guys on here who have run through allot more modern milsim games(where I have zero experience bar reading and watching on youtube).

Luke
xaos - "298,000 yen for a complete gun. How much is that in real money?"

Morley112

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 05:37:46 PM »
Noted luke!

Also the non-mre's, but still army rations would also be an option for a hardcore milsim event.

Gimpalong

• Old school member
  • I make maps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 10:16:57 AM »
As far as I'm aware there are no restrictions of the type of food you bring to any of the major MILSIM events. The event organizers are less concerned with what you bring than that you bring enough calories to remain functional the entire event. For more "traditional" events like those hosted by Lion Claws, Black Sheep and Third Coast Airsoft, breaks are built into the event so players have time to rest and eat off the field. For longer 24-40 hour events like MSW, players need to pack their food onto the field and many bring MREs, Mountain House meals and other freeze-dried victuals that they "cook" up using water heated with Jet-Boils or other camp stoves.