Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Airsoft game types  (Read 9866 times)

luke213

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
Airsoft game types
« on: March 09, 2016, 02:31:54 PM »
Well guys I'd like to start a little discussion, I've been playing airsoft a long time and back in the day if I'm honest I seldom saw all the game types that we see(I assume elsewhere) in small pickup games etc. For an example that most should know who have watched the Youtube airsoft channel of say Jet DesertFox is something like trouble in terrorist town. From what I've heard it's got a basis in video games somewhere but I'm gonna be honest I haven't really been involved in gaming in quite a few years either so if there is a link it's not one I'm familiar with. None the less it's sparked a bit of a curiosity.

The place I frequently play locally has some game types I'd never heard of until playing there and they do mix up the normal team vs team gameplay that was common back in the day. I will say I still tend to prefer more of a team vs. team setup but I'm also not opposed to mixing it up with some other fun variations on that front. But in my reading and research typically I have run into a ton of things that honestly just don't look well thought out or like they would work in the real world. I might insult some people but allot of them sound like they were written by a super secret squirrel 13 year old...

So I'd like to gather some insight from you all for game types you've found enjoyable and things to mix it up. This is far more applicable to REC or pickup style games than actual scenario's however if there is say a part of this that might bridge over between the two I'd also like to hear that. In essence I'm looking for ideas to make smaller REC style games more fun for the players. Which I think has merit for the community as a whole as well as myself when I'm organizing games as well as a few of the surrounding groups.

For those who don't know me, I'm located in the UP and we have zero for organized play etc across the entire UP. I've been working to organize some of the smaller groups into something a little more cohesive the last year. But it's going to be a long road, and since there isn't anyone else hosting games, and there isn't any fields or infrastructure we pretty much have made it up as we've gone along over the years. Back when I had less responsibilities and 2 less kids;) I used to travel often down to play with you guys in lower Michigan but these days it's just not an option most of the time. I'd like to make it down to a few of the larger games this summer/fall but it's very much up in the air.

So to recap ideas and gameplay modes that you guys have enjoyed in game along with some details or a link to somewhere I can get the rules and details would be great. As well explain what you liked about them, maybe we can get a running thread to generate some ideas. One caveat if it's a game play style you haven't actually played that's fine, but make sure to mention it. Since my bias is towards things that have actually been tried and tested that work. Feel free to duplicate the choices of others just gives me more information to go on for popularity's sake.

Take care!

Luke
xaos - "298,000 yen for a complete gun. How much is that in real money?"

kjones734

• Old school member
    • View Profile
Re: Airsoft game types
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 04:22:18 PM »
A game that I ran a couple times at matrix is called ambush. We run it with around 25 people. 5 players with sniper rifles go out into the field and they have 5 minutes to get a good spot. After the 5 minutes the ref leads the remaining 20 players on a predetermined path that only the ref knows. The players must stay in line with the ref and can not run free, we allow the players to move 10 feet either way of the refs path. The snipers goal is to kill all the players before they make it to the end point. If a sniper is spoted the players are allowed to fire at them as long as they stay with the refs path. If the snipers kill everyone then they win. If the ref makes it to the end point with at least one player then the snipers lose. We have ran this game about 5 times and it has worked good every time with both teams winning pretty evenly.

luke213

• Administrator
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 04:25:57 PM »
Interesting idea, I think we'll try that. I've got a question though does the sniper team know the path of the ref? Or are they more less setting up and figuring it out on the fly?

Thanks!

Luke

kjones734

• Old school member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 04:30:07 PM »
No one except the ref knows the path. Although the flow of the matrix field gives a decent idea of the refs path. Ive seen it a happen to where the ref made it half way through before the snipers figured it out and they were forced to scramble to get new positions.

luke213

• Administrator
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 04:33:58 PM »
That's exactly what I was wondering. Basically if it was strategic to place the snipers over a larger area to catch the end of the "patrol" more less then say radio the others to give their location and direction.

Very interesting idea putting that one in my back pocket to try out the next time we do a game and see how it goes.

Thanks sir!

Luke