Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Blank firing grenades  (Read 7642 times)

luke213

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
Blank firing grenades
« on: July 13, 2016, 02:59:07 PM »
Alrighty guys wading into the deep end of the pool now. I've been researching blank firing grenades and their legality. I do understand that many fields wouldn't allow them for insurance purposes etc. And honestly that's not the side I'm interested in since I'm not playing at other people's fields and if I were and they didn't allow them that's perfectly fine. From what I've found, it seems they are pretty dang safe and used pretty commonly overseas, so I'd rather not go off track there either.

What I'd like to focus on is purely legality, and more directly legality in Michigan. From what I've been reading I've found various guys talking about the legality of them according to the ATF that they are a firearm. But that seems to hinge on being able to fire a live round. The grenades I've been looking into are primer only grenades, so there isn't a way to fire a live round, there isn't a spot to chamber a live round.

So I'm hoping someone out there has researched this further than I have thus far, because at the end of the day whether or not they are legal is just the first hurdle but it's also a very important one. So info regarding legality specifically is what I'm on the hunt for. Whether or not it's actually an ATF issue, or if it's someone reading the law incorrectly. Also whether you know of any particular Michigan State laws that would have an effect as well. I do plan to do additional checking into it with some local LEO's etc, but I'm hoping someone here has dug into it deeply enough to save me some time in my search.

Thanks!

Luke
xaos - "298,000 yen for a complete gun. How much is that in real money?"

TauterTwiggy

• Trade Count: (1)
    • View Profile
Re: Blank firing grenades
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 08:47:21 PM »
I researched them as well and from everything I found it said that since it ignited a primer it was considered a firearm even if it did not actually fire a projectile since it COULD potentially fire a projectile if loaded with one. So not legal to discharge near anyone.

luke213

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
Re: Blank firing grenades
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 09:02:47 PM »
Well I had sort of planned to build them via some plans a guy in the UK has been building and selling them by. So I could pretty easily make them virtually impossible to propel something. But I'm hoping that the way I'm reading it is correct rather than an outright ban. Just another silly thing with ATF.

Take care

Luke

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

xaos - "298,000 yen for a complete gun. How much is that in real money?"