Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is it worth it to switch to Lipo  (Read 10919 times)

paulschoon

• Trade Count: (0)
    • View Profile
Is it worth it to switch to Lipo
« on: June 08, 2018, 08:03:42 PM »
I have a few AEG's that im thinking about putting mosfet's into them. Douse a Lipo make a big enough difference that its worth to switch over.

luke213

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
Re: Is it worth it to switch to Lipo
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 08:33:12 AM »
Yes in my opinion there virtually isn't any other type of battery I'd use in an AEG anymore:) And that's from someone who has been involved in the sport/hobby since the early 2000's. I started with NiCAD and later NiMH and then went lipo a few years ago. I'll never go back to using anything but lipo or some new battery chemistry.

Reason is both the ability to push power, but also they just hold so much more capacity wise and seem to be even less work to keep running well. Also within reason you can run most stock guns on a 2S 7.4v lipo without adding a lipo, and I haven't really seen too much of a detriment to trigger contacts and such over a NiCAD or NiMH battery in those cases. I've seen a few that failed, but I saw trigger contacts fail under the older batteries also. Now that said if you go to a 3S or 11.1V lipo then I'd recommend a mosfet, again you can skirt it for a while but that's a shorter run until the contacts fail.

Also a mosfet isn't a bad investment anyways for most guns doesn't need to be fancy(if you search I did a thread on cheap DIY mosfets), but overall I'd seriously go to a lipo and recommend it for guys. But you do need to research and learn the in's and out's of charging safely etc, but it's worth the learning curve.

Luke
xaos - "298,000 yen for a complete gun. How much is that in real money?"

paulschoon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 05:06:24 PM »
would you say the 7.4v lipo douse the trick or would you suggest going to the 11.1v lipo?

luke213

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 05:17:24 PM »
That depends, so a 7.4v doesn't require anything just works. I'd wire to deans while you're at it but otherwise it should be about normal maybe slight ROF increase compared to an 8.4v NiCAD/NiMH. But with an 11.1v it completely depends on the gun you can have it just work, or you can get pre-engagement and strip a piston;) Or it might weld the trigger contacts first time out too. It's really an unknown once you start pushing higher voltage, there isn't anything wrong with that, but if you aren't tech savy I'd stick with 7.4v lipo's myself. If you want to fix stuff, start bumping up to 11.1v and fix as you go.

Luke
xaos - "298,000 yen for a complete gun. How much is that in real money?"

MaxtheNinja

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 02:49:38 PM »
Yeah, lipos make a huge difference in performance! Just note that an 11.1 might be too much for your gun to handle. It will likely wear down your parts faster. A mosfet will fix that. I use a 7.4 in my vfc vr16 avalon because with an 11.1 it will doubleshoot on semi. A mosfet would easily fix that though.

paulschoon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 02:16:46 PM »
How do you like the Avalon iv been kind of thinking about picking one up

MaxtheNinja

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2018, 02:42:31 PM »
It's a really sweet gun, I really like it, it is probably the best airsoft AEG on the market currently. Hits upwards of 200 feet, and with some tuning, you can hit 300 feet with it. Great trigger response, and rate of fire.

paulschoon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2018, 03:12:55 PM »
I thought the Avalon came with a mosfet though, https://modernairsoft.com/collections/vfc-avalon-vr16

MaxtheNinja

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2018, 03:15:21 PM »
Yeah, I think it does, but not all mosfets are created equal. When someone talks about a mosfet to correct doubleshooting, usually it's one that you can program and tell it how many bbs you want it to shoot, something like a burst wizard, or a GATE TITAN.

T6e9a

• Trade Count: (10)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2018, 01:13:51 AM »
The Avalon series comes with a basic mosfet that doesn't do much more than protect the trigger contacts. Active Braking mosfets are commonly used to fight overspin and double cycling on the electrical level. There are ways to combat it on a mechanical level, but takes some knowledge and expertise to perfect, as well as parts.
Offering airsoft repair, upgrades, tuning and customization, check out: Tange Six Airsoft Teching Facebook
Check out what I have for sale: Tango Six MIA sale thread