Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NiMH or Lipo for your guns  (Read 8724 times)

Asheral

• Trade Count: (0)
    • View Profile
NiMH or Lipo for your guns
« on: January 09, 2019, 02:08:40 AM »
The biggest difference between NiMH and LiPo batteries is the chemical properties that enable the charging of the batteries. NiMH (Nickel-metal hybrid) uses nickel-based technology and LiPo (Lithium Polymer) batteries use a lithium-ion technology.

What the battery types have in common is that they both store a certain amount of energy depending on their capacity. Batteries can be manufactured with different voltages and capacities by installing battery cells in series or parallel inside the battery pack. One should be careful not to drop the batteries or damage the cases of the battery cells because it can cause a short circuit. Both battery types must be disposed of properly as hazardous waste.

The batteries differ in their properties and uses.

NiMH batteries are easier to use. They must be fully discharged before charging and must be charged fully before storing (Unless Manufacturer tells otherwise. Example. Traxxas). NiMH battery chargers are also very simple. Nimh batteries for airsoft gun usually are 7.2v NiMH battery, that is 6 cells, and 8.4v NiMH battery, that is 7 cells, and 9.6v nimh battery, that is 8 cells nimh pack.

LiPo batteries don’t have to be fully discharged and they must be stored with a 50−70 % charge level. The charging must be done with a charger with balance charging. It is good to charge and store LiPo batteries in a LiPo safe bag.

Properties and remarks on NiMH batteries:

Easy and worry-free charging and storing "Safe choice for beginners"
Cheaper to manufacture
A common battery type in home appliances and devices
Rated voltage of cells 1.2V
Must be fully discharged before charging
Storing fully charged (Unless Manufacturer tells otherwise. Example. Traxxas)
Batteries are built with standard sized cells with metal cases
“Memory effect”: Batteries must always be fully discharged in order to keep full capacity available

Properties and remarks on LiPo batteries:

Easy to use with the right devices
Manufacturing process is more complicated
Becoming a common battery type in home appliances and devices
Rated voltage of cells 3.0 V when discharging
A charger with balance charging must always be used for charging
Storing with 50−70 % charge level (Voltage per cell 3.85V−3.9V)
A LiPo safe bag must be used when charging and storing
Lighter than NiMH
Can be built in different sizes

“Memory effect”: almost non-existent, batteries don’t have to be fully discharged before recharging
The advantages of lithium batteries compared to NiMH batteries are undeniable.

The weight/power ratio in LiPo batteries is significantly better. LiPo batteries are noticeably lighter and they can store the same amount or more energy relative to their capacity than NiMH batteries. The power output of LiPo batteries is greater in quality and quantity. The power output of LiPo batteries is steady throughout the discharge, whereas the power output of NiMH batteries starts to decrease soon after charging because of higher discharge rate of the battery type.

Therefore with a LiPo battery with the same capacity as a NiMH battery a longer drive time and better performance can be achieved. There are usually are 2s lipo, 3s lipo battery, 4s lipo for airsoft guns battery. So, the question is what would you like to use for your airsoft guns? nimh or lipo? and which one?

luke213

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
Re: NiMH or Lipo for your guns
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 12:05:23 PM »
Lipo for me on all guns. I've been around a long time;) I started with NiCad cells back in 2001 and they worked, but size for capacity was an issue. Then NiMH became the standard but they were always a bit finicky back then in the rate of discharge which was low at the time(not sure if that changed). IE you could put out more current from a NiCAD which meant they were a better choice for upgraded guns. Granted that's nearly 20 year old info so take it with a grain of salt my memory may not be correct entirely but that was the theory.

Anyhow when I got back into the game back oh maybe 5-6+ years ago I started using lipo's since all of my batteries with my collection of guns had failed. I remember clearly the battery headaches of my early airsoft times. Good batteries mind you NiCAD cells from Sanyo etc, TM guns. None the less lipo's for me bar the headaches of storage(which are minor) and the need for a new charger rather than my old pro level NiCad/NiMH charger was soooo worth it. I honestly charge them before I play then I ignore them for sometimes months. I can shoot more, longer than any other battery chemistry I've tried. And size for capacity and form factor has opened up options that flat out weren't possible prior to lipos. I've used 7.4v 2s lipos in the buffer tube of an m4. Standard buffer tube nothing crazy, no battery PEQ style box etc. Enough so that I rear wired my now ancient CA M15A4 RIS carbine so that I could finally make the removal of the upper receiver actually easy without having to fight with wire routing.

So I'm entirely a lipo convert, I keep the old charger around for when I host games so guys still running NiMH/NiCAD can charge on it, but I'll never own any of the old chemistries. They come up with something better that is less volatile then I'd be interested otherwise I'm a lipo guy through and through;)

Luke
xaos - "298,000 yen for a complete gun. How much is that in real money?"