Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Considering getting into the not-M4 game  (Read 11984 times)

Prophet

• Trade Count: (0)
    • View Profile
Considering getting into the not-M4 game
« on: December 25, 2015, 12:41:06 AM »
On top of loving airsoft, I love guns (as I'm sure we all do). Because of this I've always pondered getting another AEG that's not a run-of-the-mill M4. I still love my M4, but I'm considering getting something to complement it. My top choices are an AK and a G3.

http://www.evike.com/products/49613/

http://www.evike.com/products/53956/

These two AKs jumped out at me, and I've tended to hear good things about CYMA AKs. Also, these are probably the easiest to find midcaps for.

http://www.evike.com/products/29823/

I think G3s, well... 7.62 battle rifles in general actually... are gorgeous, and I've had an M14 so if I go the battle rifle route, this is the style I'm thinking. Not sure on the quality of JG though.

I've heard reviews on all of them, and like most guns I've researched, I get mixed results. Do you have experience with any of the guns, or even the platforms that someone who is used to M4s should know? Are there any other non-M4 platforms you guys like? Just wondering your opinions on the subject. Merry Christmas everyone!
Buy my MP7
I always seem to end up being the medic...
Gats: Lonex/VFC FMG4-A3, KJW Glock, KWA MP7
Events: OP Western Gambit, OP Blacksheep @ Grayling, OP Fallout, OP Trident, MSW Assault on Volgograd

Praetor

• Trade Count: (3)
    • View Profile
Re: Considering getting into the not-M4 game
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 01:34:20 PM »
I love my AK and suggest you get one of you are looking for a non-m4 platform. Also in my opinion E&L Airsoft makes the best AK models of you are willing to spend around $300.

Centurion

• Trade Count: (1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 08:17:25 AM »
I'vs seen an FAL for sale here in the Commerce section not too long ago, maybe you could check that out.
http://www.miairsoft.org/index.php?topic=477.0

luke213

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 12:12:53 PM »
Well I own a fair number of non AR platform guns but honestly I'm going the other direction towards using more AR's purely for easy mag compatibility.

That said AK platform guns are good, M14's make great DMR type of rifles. I've got a G36c that I really like allot for close up though I tend to run my stubby M4 more often as mentioned above. MP5 based guns can be fun but I don't care for the hicap mags on them and since I don't run it often I can't justify a ton of midcaps for it.

Overall in airsoft I would honestly say go the direction of something you like rather than what may be practical. I bought allot of practical guns I've sold over the years but kept the ones I really liked. That's also driving my move to AR based platforms. Right now I'm building a M16 DMR to replace my M14. I sold my mp5k and replaced it with a stubby m4. But I'm also building a full Metal and wood AK based on an old TM AK I've had laying around for years;) That one I won't likely keep because I'm just not a huge AK guy. But I always wanted to build one and I stumbled into all the parts to do it cheap so I figured why not.

But follow what you like and want and at the end of the day have fun;)

Luke

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

xaos - "298,000 yen for a complete gun. How much is that in real money?"

tclaw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 09:05:29 PM »
I was looking in to a G3 myself.  I was hoping to find one with a metal receiver and could only find the JG which is plastic.  I am wondering if the outer barrel is plastic as well because you can get a metal receiver at evike.    G3 Mid cap mags are not common either. 

Puma1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 05:21:37 PM »
As someone who has owned an M14, FAL, G3 and Scar-h at one time or another I can definitely say this:

M14's are good for a DMR base.  Midcaps are easy to find and there are quite a few internal parts available at any reputable dealer.  External parts aren't super common but most places have a t the very least a passable selection. 

G3: Don't do it.  It's really not worth it in comparison to an M14 or the FAL  A) The gun itself is very creaky and there's very little to be done about it (The metal Kit on Evike might help here a bit - however the long front end is very toyish feeling) If I remember right the outer barrel is metal. B) Hop up system, discussed below C) The midcaps I tried fed poorly and were a bit overpriced.

The range was decent but overall, in my opinion, the hop up stopped it from being the tack driver I wanted it to be. It slipped very easily and even after replacing it it struggled to find consistency.  I ended up breaking the gearbox trying to upgrade it. (It was my second gun and I got it for a pretty good price - no real loss there)

FAL: In my personal opinion, these are by far the best choice of the 3.  I've owned 2 versions: The short RIS one, which despite being very heavy in the front and requiring some type of battery holder/PEQ was by far my favorite rifle I've ever owned. 

I've also owned the longer version which I used at OP: Blacksheep with huge success.  I added another 4 inches in barrel length to get it out to the 509mm length I wanted.  It was by far my best long gun and it was a CONSTANT attention grabber by guys on the field and after a solid tune up from T6 it was easily able to compete with most any rifle out there.

The Lancer Tactical/JG ones are solidly built and use V3 parts - meaning internals are pretty much in endless supply.

King Arms 'CQB' M4 -- King Arms 20" DMR -- King Arms 16" Rifle.
M81, Digital Marpat and Multicam.

My Buy/Sell ratings from 'old' MIA

Centurion

• Trade Count: (1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 09:45:19 PM »
Puma, when you used the FAL did you use midcaps? If so, what brand? I've been trying to see if the Echo1 mids work for Lancer Tactical's FAL.

Puma1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 11:59:06 PM »
I did indeed use midcaps.  They're a bit pricey but they hold 150 rounds so I just sucked it up and bought them.
PLEASE note: The mags on evike DO NOT fit the JG/LT versions of the FAL.

This is what I used: http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=16370

They took a bit of a beating but they never failed me.
King Arms 'CQB' M4 -- King Arms 20" DMR -- King Arms 16" Rifle.
M81, Digital Marpat and Multicam.

My Buy/Sell ratings from 'old' MIA