Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GoPro/Camera loadouts  (Read 13904 times)

TauterTwiggy

• Trade Count: (1)
    • View Profile
GoPro/Camera loadouts
« on: March 01, 2016, 02:29:32 PM »
I'm looking at getting a GoPro Hero4 Silver and was curious what sorts of accessories I should get with it. Any recommendations on SD card size, battery packs, and helmet pouches to hold an external battery would also be greatly appreciated.

Also appreciated would be thoughts on the hero 3 vs the 4 or any other suggestions and tips for cameras or recording.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 03:13:26 PM by TauterTwiggy »

Stinger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
    • View Profile
Re: GoPro/Camera loadouts
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 02:33:36 PM »
I have a Hero 4 Silver, and I wear it with a headstrap mount as shown.

I use a SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB Micro-SD Card in it and carry it with two extra batteries. I have a case for it and its accessories that goes in my mini-MAP.
-Stinger

YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/user/CStingerGhost1
"Think of yourselves as a hand. Each of you is a finger, and without the others you're useless."

luke213

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 03:53:49 PM »
I recently started playing around with a SJ4000 clone gopro mostly because my airsoft budget is super limited and I wanted to give it a try before dropping additional funds into the project. I'm also planning on mounting it on a gimbal on the quad copter to do some other things along with a few other projects. So far, kind of meh on the video footage I've gotten from it. But I do believe it's more the lens than the sensor and I just ordered the right lens since I didn't read closely enough and it's got either a 120 or 140 degree lens on there so it's too tight for a head mount really doesn't get enough of the gun etc in the shot. But all things considered I've got very little invested to try it out, so we'll see what the end results are.

Right now since it came with a bunch of mounts etc, I made a mount using the adhesive mount they had and some .125 kydex. The .125 kydex fits very well between the mount pivots, IE I used 2 1in. wide straps of it, drilled and pinned with chicago screws for pivot points from the base to the camera, then in the middle pinned to 3 straps to fit the other end. It's stable and works well for being a quick DIY with stuff I had laying around. I'll likely do something a bit more "refined" if I find with the new lens I'm using it allot.

I'm not convinced I'm the best guy to have a camera strapped to my head though in my initial tests;) I do a fair amount of looking around, the fields I play have very uneven ground so I spend a fair amount of time glancing down at my feet to keep from tripping on things. Overall I'm not too impressed with my ability to film what's going on in a game with a camera on my head yet;) I might get better at it, but so far who knows but I'm willing to give it a go. I do think I'm likely going to find though that I either need several IE, head, gun, reverse. If I'm going to get enough good footage to make a video that is worth watching. And that plays to my hand of trying cheap cameras as well, since I can buy 3 of them for one fairly decent cam. I also might try some scope cam stuff, but from what I've seen there it's also a multi camera affair if it's decent and worth watching. So we'll see but it will be interesting to see where it goes, as well I'm super interested to see how other guys have them mounted etc.

Take care!

Luke
xaos - "298,000 yen for a complete gun. How much is that in real money?"

FearNoEvil

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 10:52:15 AM »
I use an Apeman I baught off amazon. Its 1080, and starts at only $40. Waterproof case and all mounts included. Its awesome. Only con is the sound doesnt pick up very well

luke213

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Old school member
  • Lukas Adams
    • View Profile
    • Adams Holsters
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 11:53:38 AM »
I'd be curious to see the video output from it if you've got any uploaded to youtube.

To update my post above, I tested allot with the SJ4000 clone and it sucks and it wasn't the lens. It was terrible for video quality enough that it was virtually a complete loss money and time wise. So don't go that route;)

Luke
xaos - "298,000 yen for a complete gun. How much is that in real money?"

TauterTwiggy

• Trade Count: (1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 10:39:42 AM »
I ended up settling on the Hero4 Silver with a Brain Exploder mount and with a skeleton case, 64GB SD card and extended/external battery I can get about 8 hours worth of high quality 1080p 60fps footage.

Solstice

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 09:29:45 PM »
The Brain Exploader mount works great for my Hero 5 Session, I would recommend getting the lends protector, or at least the warranty for your Hero4 if you can. With your battery you may be able to get 8 hours, but your card might fill up before that. If you can, you should consider getting an additional memory card. My 64GB states that it can record to 4 hours with those settings. As for battery packs, I bought the Milsim West Gopro external battery pouch with http://www.ebay.com/itm/401254410432?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT This battery pack which fits perfectly. Although to get it to charge you do have to press a button so that's kinda annoying. I have yet to completely fill the memory card, or run out of battery, but I've also only done games that last 8 hours so that's my .02.